Anyone use a 12 inch or greater collar for a keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Have a new 10cf keezer that holds 6 cornies on the floor. I could fit 2 more if I built an 11" collar. Do you see any problem with this? I would use some of that pink insulation sheeting on the inside to help. But a 2x12 I think is a decent insulator by itself.

I would need a step stool to get kegs in and out, but that's not a big deal to me.

Thanks all.

Gregg

I have a 10'' collar. My cornies fit fine but it is very difficult to reach the bottom to clean anything that may have spilled.

i fastened the collar to the lid so it lifted up out of the way. Its nice cause it keeps the hose out of the way also. Mine is 6" tall; so you might need to use something like this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5432 I think Bobby_m fastened his collar to the lid also (he has a video on here somewhere)

I think I might just use some brackets to hold the collar in place and not glue it down. That way I can take it off if I need to get to the bottom. I'd rather not mount to the lid.

I'll put some weatherstripping down to seal it up.

No need for insulation. That 2x is fine by itself.

Fixing something like that to the lid will require a pretty strong spring. That thing (using 2x12's) will be heavy.

My only issue is that would be a long way to lift a full corny into and out of.

Also, you'll need to get a simple mop to get to the floor of the chest and manage the condensation.

I use this one from Lowe's and it works well.

Mop.jpg

Rather than fastening it, i just built a skirt, so it actually hugs around the freezer, It is very tight, I think i would actually have to pull the planks off the freezer if i wanted to take it off..

IMHO, a big collar like that looks a bit obnoxious but if fitting 8 kegs in there is your goal, it's the only way. My collar is 3" high and I'm happy with 5 kegs and some space on the hump for yeast slurry and random beer. This is also a spot for your "smaller" co2 tank if you have one.

Back