How many taps should I put in my keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttownbrewer

Reaction score
I just picked up the 7.0 cubic foot GE chest freezer from the orange box (they're on sale). I know I can fit 4 cornies on the floor, and another on the hump with a large enough collar.

My question is for those that have built a keezer out of this model. If you were to do it again, would you go with 3, 4, or 5 taps?

Thanks for your input!

I have this model. I started with 2 and expanded to 4, very soon after.

It depends how often you brew, and what styles you make.

If it takes a while to turn kegs over the last thing you want is 4 IPAs on tap.

I dont have room on the hump for another keg due to a small collar.

I have 2 regrets. With 4 kegs its extremely tight in there, and you have to shuffle kegs around when one kicks. Also, that I dont have room for a keg to cold condition.

I just picked up the 7.0 cubic foot GE chest freezer from the orange box (they're on sale). I know I can fit 4 cornies on the floor, and another on the hump with a large enough collar.

My question is for those that have built a keezer out of this model. If you were to do it again, would you go with 3, 4, or 5 taps?

Thanks for your input!

I have the same GE, 4 taps for 5 gallon kegs and one for my 3 gallon on the hump.
My collar is made out 2x4's with 1x6 skirt to hold everything together without glue or screws.
Also included an internal tap cleaner hookup.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I have the Magic Chef version of the 7.0. It has three 525SS taps and three 5gal ball locks on the floor and one 2.5gal ball lock on the hump. That left room for a 5lb CO2 cylinder to sit on the floor. I may add a 4th tap for that 2.5 gal keg. BTW, I have a coffin and no collar.

If you were to do it again, would you go with 3, 4, or 5 taps?

The correct answer is always add as many taps as you can.

I know that sounds like the "turn it up to 11" answer but you will rarely regret too many taps. I have 3 taps on my keezer and I wish I had done 4. If I went from 5G kegs to stackable 2.5G kegs (as I've thought of doing), I would go with 5 taps.

The correct answer is always add as many taps as you can.

I know that sounds like the "turn it up to 11" answer but you will rarely regret too many taps. I have 3 taps on my keezer and I wish I had done 4. If I went from 5G kegs to stackable 2.5G kegs (as I've thought of doing), I would go with 5 taps.

+1 to this. I have 7 and I wish I had more.

1- root beer
2- hopped apple cider
3- blonde
4- chocolate vanilla porter
5- oatmeal stout
6- esb
7- kentucky rye

I have a trappist and a brown that I would love to have on tap too....there is really just never enough room. Go with as many as you can is my advice!:rockin:

Thank You all for the suggestions, 5 taps it shall have!:mug:

That's the right move! You won't be dissappointed. I was debating 4 or 5 when I built my keezer and went with 5 (4 on the floor, one on the hump). I don't always have 5 on tap but it's nice to have the option. Sometimes you end up brewing faster than you can drink and it sucks having a keg just sitting there with no open taps.

I have the same one, and i wish I would have built my collar big enough to put two on the hump and put the CO2 tank outside. really wish I had 6 taps so I could have a few big beers that move slowly and then have the others on a quicker rotation. Nothing worse than not having a spot for a beer that needs to go in the keg.:mug:

I have 3 perlick taps but room to add 2 more with my 9 inch collar if I wanted. I currently have been storing my yeast from previous brews on the hump so that has been a savings. 3 cornys and a 5lb tank seem just about right spacing in my opinion and can throw some bombers too sometimes. 4 would be pretty tight on the floor, I think it's nice to be able to have a little extra space with 3. Was also contemplating about adding a nitro tap in future for 4th tap. I just switched from 5 gallon to 10 gallon batches and can't keep even three taps full, how often you brew might be another factor.

I have 3 in mine currently though a 4th wouldnt be a bad thing. Since I currently have the CO2 stored in the keezer i can only fit 4 kegs in there at once and it is a tight fit. What I really want to do it take the tank out of the keezer, add a 4th tap, and upgrade my regulator to having 5 gas outs so I can carb the backup keg while I am dispensing. That or use a spare regulator to carb in my spare fridge.

Back