Can I save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilHomer3

Reaction score
First timer here...

everything went well except I read the time to pitch yeast wrong. I did it for 15 secs instead if 15 mins....batch ruined?

Thanks

If you are talking about re-hydrating e yeast but you pitched at the proper wort temp, then you are fine. It will take a little longer for active fermentation to start, but it will go. Many people don't even re-hydrate but will pitch the dry yeast right on the wort.

Many people don't even re-hydrate but will pitch the dry yeast right on the wort.

I'm one of those people... but then again I've only done 4 or 5 batches.

One good reason to hydrate is to make sure the package is still good. I keep meaning to hydrate but I always forget. But otherwise I figure there's very little difference in rehydrating my yeast in tepid wort vs rehydrating it in tepid water...

Yeast viability from properly rehydrated yeast is 95% or higher, pitched directly into cold wort it's less than 40%, so you are basically wasting half of what you paid for and under pitching.

edit: here's the article:

Dr. Clayton Cone suggests the following:
Let me give you some facts regarding rehydration and you can decide for yourself where you want to Compromise.
Every strain of yeast has its own optimum rehydration temperature. All of them range between 95 F to 105F. Most of them closer to 105F. The dried yeast cell wall is fragile and it is the first few minutes (possibly seconds) of rehydration that the warm temperature is critical while it is reconstituting its cell wall structure. As you drop the initial temperature of the water from 95 to 85 or 75 or 65F the yeast leached out more and more of its insides damaging the each cell.
The yeast viability also drops proportionally. At 95 – 105 F, there is 100% recovery of the viable dry yeast. At 60F, there can be as much as 60% dead cells. The water should be tap water with the normal amount of hardness present. The hardness is essential for good recovery. 250 -500 ppm hardness is ideal. This means that deionized or distilled water should not be used. Ideally, the warm rehydration water should contain about 0.5 – 1.0% yeast extract.
For the initial few minutes (perhaps seconds) of rehydration, the yeast cell wall cannot differentiate what passes through the wall. Toxic materials like sprays, hops, SO2 and sugars in high levels, that the yeast normally can selectively keep from passing through its cell wall rush right in and seriously damage the cells. The moment that the cell wall is properly reconstituted, the yeast can then regulate what goes in and out of the cell. That is why we hesitate to recommend rehydration in wort or must. Very dilute wort seems to be OK.
How do many beer and wine makers have successful fermentations when they ignore all the above? I believe that it is just a numbers game. Each gram of Active Dry Yeast contains about 20 billion live yeast cells. If you slightly damage the cells, they have a remarkable ability to recover in the rich wort. If you kill 60% of the cell you still have 8 billion cells per gram that can go on to do the job at a slower rate.

Hmmm, interesting. I'll take it into account. However when I pitch it to my wort my wort is warm. And I'm wasting half of what I pay for anyway as I brew two gallons and buy for 5. And don't forget the last line "If you kill 60% of the cell you still have 8 billion cells per gram that can go on to do the job at a slower rate". Slower-rate schmower-rate, it still ferments (eventually).

Basically, the OP shouldn't worry.

Still that's useful. I'll try to remember it in the future.

Back