Hows this yeast look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnjoyGoodBeer

Reaction score
M sure there might be post close to this. My first yeast wash been sitting in fridge for a month. Just wondering if the color still looks good.?

Sorry for bad picks. I read in J Palmers if it looks like penut butter to discard it. This doesnt look like penutbutter but it dosnt look as clear as ive seen it before.

Also if its good could I just dump the top and just add all to make 1 mason jar?

image-3275269603.jpg

image-95959103.jpg

I noticed that i didt have much. May have done it wrong. Thanks for the extra 1 up.

Would i have enough to do abother 5 gallon batch?

Yes sir. That was my plan.

Also while your awnsering questions i plan on washing some dry notty yeast. Would that be worth it? At 5 bucks a pack I was gonna try.

WoodlandBrew said:
If you skip the water wash you will have 10 times more viable yeast. IME you are just putting good yeast down the drain. For details see this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/yeast-washing-exposed.html

Okay, Ill take a look at this thanks.

Edit: not sure I get it. So I should just take everything onin primary and just dump it in a mason jar? Instead of using water to wash it?

That's it. Just pour the cake into jars. You end up with much more yeast and it takes much less time.

WoodlandBrew said:
That's it. Just pour the cake into jars. You end up with much more yeast and it takes much less time.

Okay, do I have to dump of the top layer (beer) before making a starter?

Okay, do I have to dump of the top layer (beer) before making a starter?
I wouldn't say you half to, but if it has stratified then I would. The liquid above the cake of a stored slurry contains a higher bacteria count per viable yeast cell than the cake.

Well I filled 2 up i left the rest of the sludge in my bucket. Im going to work on reducing my trub and hop sludge. (I use pellet hops)

Both mason jars were filled with about have the trub, but the other half looks nice and yeasty.

There is quite a bit of viable yeast in the part that looks like trub. There is a post with details coming soon on my blog.

I've got 6 half pint jars with the remaining cake from a recent batch. It has about 2 inches of crap in the bottom with a layer maybe 1/4 inch thick that appears to be healthy yeast.

When the time comes to use this as a starter am I simply decanting and taking ONLY that 1/4 inch thick of yeast and tossing it in my primary??? Only way i can see getting it out is with a spoon???

Just pitch the whole thing. You can decant the water first if you want. They layers all contain viable yeast.

Even the hop trub from the older batch?

I will be honest and say i was quite sloppy with making these starters and there is more trub than there probably should be. In most cases if you wash yeast you try to get only the yeast.

I did as woodland recommended in another thread and dumped the cake into jars. I literaly took a little boiling water, added to primary, swirled it around and then used a ladel to get it out and into my half pint jars.

Latest posts

Back