Ever Make a Beer You Didn't Like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
I brewed up a light cream ale at the beginning of the summer with high hopes. Figured it would be nice to have a light, tasty brew around for the hot months. And I can't stand it. I can't even force myself to drink it. And yet every person whos tried it loves it. I"ve basically been giving it away all summer trying to get rid of it. It drives me nuts because I can't point out exactly what it is that makes me dislike it so. There is some sort of aftertaste I can't identify, but no one else tastes it.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

I made two batches of Bavarian Liquid Gold" and I didn't like the orange peel stuff that I bought at the home brew. The night I bottled it, it smelled so good that I made another batch because I had extra ingredients. Next time I will wait until I drink something with a new ingredient before I duplicate it.

i did a wheat ale for a friends birthday that i hurred to get done w/ his b-day was 9-11. and everyone but me and my girl loved it. i still have 2 bottles left that i'm letting sit to see if this year they taste better!

Made about 6 kits of just extract tins with white sugar. Nearly finished them. Have had them for about two years and they kinda taste ok. I use them as my buffer between running out of good beer and making / buying some.

one so far, it wasnt horrible but there was something I didnt like about it. It was a pale ale it was drinkable but I dont thing I would brew it again.

Possibly 2 I have a honey weizen that has been in the bottles for 2 weeks, when I was bottling it tatsed great after conditioning it had a fruity bananna quality to it hopefully that will mellow out a little... if not I am not gonna be a big fan of this one

Here's a hint for mine: Two WEEKS of oak chips in secondary ≠ two DAYS of oak chips! I made the 666 recipe three months ago and still all I can taste is oak. I still have a case left, and I'm choking it down to remind myself of the 'wood beer'.

My hefe made with White Labs German Hefe yeast tastes like a banana stored for two weeks in a sweaty sock. mmmmmm.

My Nut Brown I made awhile ago has an odd aftertaste I just can't put a finger on. It's drinkable but everytime I drink one I can't enjoy it because I'm spending the whole time trying to figure out what the hell that taste is. I think my ferment temps got a little too high.

Yes I have, but I drank it anyway.

Bad homebrew is still better than most commercial brews, and *always* better than bmc.

:mug:

I've made two batches that I find undrinkable. One was an Marzen style ale that is too cloyingly sweet and the other is a stout that was too mild. They're both sitting around in kegs waiting for the day I have enough beer in the pipeline to require the keg space.

eviltwinofjoni said:
Here's a hint for mine: Two WEEKS of oak chips in secondary ≠ two DAYS of oak chips! I made the 666 recipe three months ago and still all I can taste is oak. I still have a case left, and I'm choking it down to remind myself of the 'wood beer'.

i did 2 weeks of oak chips on a recent beer, it was really oaky to it mellowed out beautifully after about 8 weeks on mine, then after about 12 it was non exsitant

Was drunk one night, found myself rolling around in the scrub. Didn't like the smell, but the bush bunny's couldn't keep their hands off me. Not fond of some of my creations, but by golly, you can please all of the people some of the time.

I've made one Brown I dumped. I probably would have kept it, if I didn't have a good stock on hand at the time. Even after three months, it was just disappointing.

I made a Blackberry Wheat a few weeks ago, a few people that have tried it liked it. I learned that I don't really like Wheat Beer all that much. Haven't decided if I'll make it again or not yet, right now I'm leaning toward making something else next time.

And I made a Blonde that I was expecting to be more of a light style beer but I added an extra pound of DME to it because I wanted to kick the Alcohol up some, well it turned out tasting much more malty than what I'd usually like to drink - kind of like a malt liqour almost. I wouldn't say it was "bad" - its definitely drinkable, it actually tastes pretty good - nice and creamy. But if I make it again, I think I will not try and boost the fermentables quite so much. My only real complaint about that beer aside from the fact that I kicked the alcohol up so high that its hard to finish a liter is that it gives you the killer hangover headache from hell. Smells good, tastes good, just way too strong. I imagine that beer will last me a long time because I've only drank 2-3 liters of it and its kind of got me afraid to drink it during the week when I have to go to work the next day.

Yep a light (not pale) ale.

As it has aged though I have found that either my taste buds are getting used to it or it is actually getting better. I was trying to go for an ale version of MGD, but ended up with an ale that has almost no character other then alcohol and fizz.

tst4echo said:
Yep a light (not pale) ale.

As it has aged though I have found that either my taste buds are getting used to it or it is actually getting better. I was trying to go for an ale version of MGD, but ended up with an ale that has almost no character other then alcohol and fizz.

I'm confused...wouldn't that be a perfect ale version clone? J/K ;)

Some of the best things need time to aquire taste. ah, drink it anyway. ..... If it was any good you probaly won't remember how to reproduce it......If it was no good , you'll probaly want to forget how to reproduce it anyway.

Yep, my thus named Honey Butt Brown; it tastes horrid.

I was rather new to the game and had a few things go wrong, primarily Laaglanders DME and treated tap water. It still tastes horrible and is insanely sweet. I probably will have to dump the remainder that is bottled. :(

Matt Foley said:
My hefe made with White Labs German Hefe yeast tastes like a banana stored for two weeks in a sweaty sock. mmmmmm.

Lovley. Same here, my hefe tasted like a banana turd. Another bad experiment was a strawberry lemonade cider. Nasty stuff.

Same here, my first crack at a Belgian Wit ended the same way. I chalk it up to crushing the snot out of the coriander rather than just adding too much. But everyone else seemed to love it........

Nope.

230 gallons YTD and haven't poured one down the drain yet.

Now, there are some that I like less than the others...but with 7 taps going, you're bound to have favorites.

I typically don't like Belgian beers or wheat beers, so what did I decide to make? Oh, yea, a Belgian Wit. I figured it was just because I hadn't had a good commercial one yet or the ones I had were not fresh. Nope, turns out that I just don't care for the style. I was ready to dump the entire batch when a homebrewing friend who drinks a lot of Belgian beer tried one and said it was one of the best ones he had ever had, so I gave them all to him.

I made a red ale and a stout then was forced to move while they were both in primary. I put them in the car and drove them to a friends place. Water from the airlocks fell into both carboys, they were exposed to direct Texas sunlight and I have no idea what the temperature fluctuations must have been like during the move. Needless to say they came out tasting none too great.

My first brew was an extract with specialty grains Brewer's Best American Pale Ale that is marginally drinkable. I bottled it about 5 weeks ago and it has improved some, but it'll have to get significantly better for it to be worth drinking when there's better stuff around. The thing is it's had this taste to it from when I first boiled it and it's never gone away. The LHBS where I purchased it doesn't seem to have a very large turnover so it may have been sitting on the shelves for a LONG time.

The Kölsch I did was disappointing. Definitely the kind of Kölsch you get when following a recipe by somebody who has never had an actual Kölsch and is guessing what they should end up with.

Worst part was, I brewed it to celebrate a visit buy friends from Cologne, so it was a bit embarrassing.

I did a Maple Wheat Ale that I seriously disliked. But I drank them all or friends helped. Wifey couldn't choke it down. I added Brown Sugar with the Maple to give it a little extra flavor, bad idea. Ended up too sweet. The LHBS only had Wheistephan Wheat (Total Banana and Clove, which I dislike), but I thought what the hell, maybe it'll balance with all of the other ingredients. It was big a beer, OG at 1.092. So...It ended up sweet, banana and clove taste and strong alcohol taste...Yuck. I would do again, but without that yeast strain and back off on the OG.

I'm bringing this one back from the dead!! I've had two that I didn't like. A chocolate milk stout, and a honey cherry wheat. I'm still not sure what happened with the chocolate milk stout, I think maybe it fermented at too high of a temp, but it has a very strong diacytyl aftertaste (smells great). I actually discovered though that it tastes tons better if you drink it while eating chocolate.

They honey cherry wheat I used way too much honey so it finished extremely dry, and the cherries didn't add the flavor I was expecting, so it is pretty sour. It's still not a terrible brew, but it's definately not my favorite, and I won't drink any more then one or two bottles at a time.

Since both of these are still drinkable I usually drink them along with my other "good" beers. I'll drink a good beer, then follow it with one of the ones I don't really like, then drink another good one....etc.

I've made a couple that I didn't particularly like. The Caramel Cream Ale that has become so popular here was awful. My last batch of pumpkin ale would've been awesome, but I backsweetened WAY too much. I also still have a few bottles of a porter that I'm sure had a wild yeast problem (re-pitched the same yeast 8-10 times, and it finally turned out poorly) - it tastes really Belgian, though I meant it to be a pretty traditional porter. Fortunately, even the bad ones are still drinkable, and many of my friends really like the porter with the yeast issue.

EvilTOJ said:

Holy Cow! It's a shame you cannot toss another bottle on the fire during the cold months. :drunk:

That's a lotta oak. I'd put it away for a year or so.

Back