Hopbursting IBUS, recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daksin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All-

I'm going to be making a hopbursted American IPA next week and was wondering about the IBU calculations. Recipe is:

Mash: 148F, 90 minutes, 80% efficiency
OG: 1.067
FG: ~1.014 (hopefully lower)
Yeast: WLP090 (San Diego Super)

6.5lbs 2row
2lbs American Munich
2lbs Maris Otter
1/2lb C60
1/2lb carapils

Hops:
Bravo for bittering (FWH, will adjust IBU to around 65 if needed)
20min: 1/4 oz each: Cascade, Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo
15min: Same
10min: Same
5min: Same
0min: Same

Dryhop- 1 oz each Cascade, columbus, Chinook, Amarillo

Beer Calculus calculates the IBUS of the late additions as 60IBU (Tinseth), but I understand Jamil has said that utilization drops off by about half after 20 minutes- is that included in the Tinseth formula, or should I increase my hops? I think that 1oz total every 5 minutes in the last 20 min of the boil is a good amount so I would probably just add a bittering addition as FWH to get up to 65 or so if the actual late additions are more like 30 IBU. What do you guys think?

Any other recipe advice would be great too, such as blending all hops equally or using more of certain ones than others. Also, am I setting myself up for hops haze, or can I clear this beer up with gelatin? I'd like to enter it in some competitions. Thanks!

The IBU calculator should take the short boil time into consideration.

I just did a hopbursted IPA but I didn't do any FWH, just late hops starting at 20 minutes. I use Beersmith, and I'd say that Beersmith did a good job of estimating IBUs based on the perceived bitterness in the beer.

I really love doing this, and now that I have a freezer full of hops I"ll be doing it often!

OK, sounds good. I'll pass the same additions through beersmith when I get home (working on beer calculus ATM because I'm at work!) and make sure they line up.

Any thoughts on the rest of the recipe or hops haze?
Much appreciated!

OK, sounds good. I'll pass the same additions through beersmith when I get home (working on beer calculus ATM because I'm at work!) and make sure they line up.

Any thoughts on the rest of the recipe or hops haze?
Much appreciated!

I never get much hops haze, although I do use a ton of hops. I never use gelatin or other post-fermentation clarifiers (as I want vegetarian friendly beer). I don't use carapils very often, but I can't see an issue with using it either. The grainbill looks good to me. I think of columbus as a bit "dank" in late additions, so I don't use it much but I use the other hops often in late additions with good results.

Back