First timer with questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecoBREW

Reaction score
Hello,

I just started brewing my first ever batch of beer, lager to be exact. I got the kit from my mother. She bought 5 or 6 years ago for my step-father who never tried it out.

The question(s) is/are:
1. The can of "John Bull" lager mix, corn sugar and yeast - do they go bad? They are 5 or 6 years old as well.

2. After I got the beer down to the correct temp and add the yeast I sealed the 6.5 gallon bucket and put the air-lock on with water in it half full. That was midnight last night. I haven't seen a bubbles coming up into the air-lock yet. When will they start coming up?

3. The leaflet that came with the beer states it should be fermented at 65 - 75 degrees. I have a book that states otherwise. The book states 50 - 70 degrees, optimum at a steady 55 - 60 degrees. Should I trust the leaflet's information?

Thank you for your support!
10.03.05 and counting!

Thanks for the advice guys! I went out and bought some new yeast and the fermentation process has begun. Thanks again!

pints o black stuff said:
3. The leaflet that came with the beer states it should be fermented at 65 - 75 degrees. I have a book that states otherwise. The book states 50 - 70 degrees, optimum at a steady 55 - 60 degrees. Should I trust the leaflet's information?

I would not trust that leaflet. Lagers and ales require different fermentation temps. It sounds like the leaflet has a temp range that is actually for an ale, but you said this is a lager, so your book and the optimum temp ranges are more suitable for a lager.

pints o black stuff said:
Thanks for the advice guys! I went out and bought some new yeast and the fermentation process has begun. Thanks again!

Did you buy lager yeast or ale yeast? :)

-walker

I bought lager yeast. The guy at the store said the the "john bull" lager isn't a true lager and it would be alright fermenting at the temps printed on the leaflet. If it turns out bad no big deal. It was free. I'll buy new next try.

Back