fermentation question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha450

Reaction score
I was looking at the airlock and noticed only a bubble ever few seconds. It has been fermenting since Friday evening. Today being Sunday, should it be bubbling more or is it ok?:confused:

Almost certainly, it is ok. Some fermentations last longer than others. Two days is a little faster than mine usually are, but not unusual.

give it time, I'm sure its fine.. some are more violent than others too... just dont touch it till it gets around 1-2 bubbles per minute...

Ok, I was gone all day today. When I got home I looked at the airlock and I am only getting about two bubble a minute. It hasn't even been three days yet, is this a little too fast. Is there anything else I should do?

Nope. Just wait about a week or so. The beer knows what to do. Try not to worry about it. You know the old saying, "A watched airlock never blurps".

If you are absolutely dying to know if it's ok, you can take a hydrometer reading in a day or two. But, I'd let it sit until next weekend, and then start worrying if necessary.

Lorena

Did you pitch the yeast right into the wort or did you make a yeast starter first?

I made a yeast starter. 1/2 cup of 90 degree water and covered with Saran Wrap.

That's fine, but that's not a yeast starter. You rehydrated your yeast, so we know it was a package of dry yeast. That's what I do when I use dry yeast.

Do a search for "yeast starter"- there are threads on this subject from today. That's what Todd was asking you about.

Lorena

Try and just wait to mess with it. Its 99.9% likely to be just fine and opening it wont help anything besides letting nasties in. I was in your same shoes last week and wish i would have left it alone.

Latest posts

Back