American Amber Ale Hoppy American Amber or Malty American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be brewing 3.5 gallons of this one today, with a few subs.
Using Victory in place of the biscuit, flaked oats and some odd leftover hops mixed in for bittering.
Fermenting with harvested American Ale II 1272.
I'll report back in a few weeks but am anticipating a great beer from all I've read.

What are folks' experience with the fermentation schedule for this beer? Looking at my brew schedule, I may not be able to get it off the yeast cake for 6 weeks. I can rearrange some of my brews and do it in 3 but that will put me behind on some other stuff.

Also - when does this drink best in your experience? How soon did you drink it after brewing it, and at what point do you think it hit its stride?

Brewing this right now. Third time. I put the naked in oats in a coffee grinder this time as they usually just fall straight through my mill. We'll see if it adds anything to the flavor...

I just tapped my keg of this over the weekend.
This is a very hoppy beer for sure...I think it might mellow out a bit with some more time in the fridge, but at this time I mainly smell and taste hops.
I like hops though, so its good!

Just thought I would mention this: I used Wyeast 1272 American Ale II with this recipe.
The beer came out good, but wanted to say a bit more about the yeast.
As reported elsewhere, this yeast will produce fruity esters in your ales. I have done a couple beers in a row using this yeast and they both have a very distinct aroma that is fruity and consistent across recipes. I'd go further and say the yeast is not a neutral yeast (at ~65 degrees) like 1056 but contributes a decent amount of character itself. I like this character in appropriate styles. It seems at home with this amber, but might be distracting in an IPA if you weren't looking for a fruity note.

Brewed this last night using BIAB. Extended the mash to 80 minutes and nailed the gravity! First all grain attempt. I used WLP001 since the store didn't have 1450. Anyone think I will have issues since I didn't use a starter?

On my third batch of this beer but this is the first time with Denny's. What a difference. The mouthfeel and maltiness is so much better and pronounced. Gonna use it again this weekend on my pale ale to see what difference it makes to that recipe.

What are folks' experience with the fermentation schedule for this beer? Looking at my brew schedule, I may not be able to get it off the yeast cake for 6 weeks. I can rearrange some of my brews and do it in 3 but that will put me behind on some other stuff.

Also - when does this drink best in your experience? How soon did you drink it after brewing it, and at what point do you think it hit its stride?

I let mine in the primary for 3.5 weeks. Not sure if 6
weeks is a little long.
As to when it's best to drink... I won't find out. I've pulled 5 pints out of this since I kegged it on Thursday. It's not even in my fridge (just sat at basement temps) and it's still really good. When I brew strong IPAs I find I only pull a pint or two here and there but a beer like this will be gone in two weeks easily.

On my third batch of this beer but this is the first time with Denny's. What a difference. The mouthfeel and maltiness is so much better and pronounced. Gonna use it again this weekend on my pale ale to see what difference it makes to that recipe.

As I near the end of my keg of this, I think I enjoy it more and more. Maybe some of the fruitiness of the 1272 is diminishing. I will brew this again someday and make sure to try Denny's.

Found this recipe by looking for something good to do with golden naked oats. I love a good amber, so this sounds great! I never really mess with my water, but since you listed the numbers I figured I'd throw it in beersmith and see what's what.

I typically use spring water which I've heard from folks around here is basically Czech Pilsen water. So plugging your numbers into the beersmith water tool it has me adding .5g Epsom salt, 2.5g baking soda, and 2.9g chalk. That gives me just under what you had for bicarbonate, but higher on the sodium and calcium:

ca mg na so4 cl hco3
37.7 3.3 19.9 10 5 108.2

I know the bicarbonates are supposed to be important for the hops, but am I going to have a problem with the sodium and calcium? Should I just use the baking soda (I actually have some of that)? Should I just skip it all since I don't know what I'm doing?

I've brewed this three times before and again tomorrow but I'm out of 2-row.
I have Maris otter and pilsner malt. Any thoughts as to which I should use? I was thinking Maris but thought pilsner might be more experimental...

I've brewed this three times before and again tomorrow but I'm out of 2-row.
I have Maris otter and pilsner malt. Any thoughts as to which I should use? I was thinking Maris but thought pilsner might be more experimental...

I'm probably use the maris otter- I love its bready rich flavor.

I brewed this 2.5 weeks ago. Just finished carbing it up and poured a sample out of the fermentator and it's already great. Thanks yooper. Cheers
20180823_194115.jpeg

I brewed this about 3.5 weeks ago and bottled it about 10 days ago.
It's starting to taste good but is a lot more malty than I expected, hopefully it dries out a bit more, still early days.
It finished at 1.011 using yeast 1098. How long before it normally hits it's peak in the bottle?
I'm in no real hurry but I'm just a bit worried before the malt mellows out that the hops ill start to fade or is that the point where it starts to become balanced and tasty?

I used Caraaroma instead of C120 because I can't get that here so that's probably also a factor in the maltiness as it's probably something like C140 to C150.
I'll see how it ends up but next time I might try Carabohemian which is more in the C90 range. :)

It's starting to taste good but is a lot more malty than I expected, hopefully it dries out a bit more, still early days.
It finished at 1.011 using yeast 1098. How long before it normally hits it's peak in the bottle?
I'm in no real hurry but I'm just a bit worried before the malt mellows out that the hops ill start to fade or is that the point where it starts to become balanced and tasty?

I used Caraaroma instead of C120 because I can't get that here so that's probably also a factor in the maltiness as it's probably something like C140 to C150.
I'll see how it ends up but next time I might try Carabohemian which is more in the C90 range. :)

I’ve brewed tho a beer several times and it never seems very hoppy to me. Still a fantastic beer and one of my favorites.
Drinking one now that I added a lot of late Amarillo and centennial but again, not that hoppy. Think dry hopping would make a big
difference.

IMG_8543.JPG

Bottled an extract version of this on Wednesday (scaled recipe, replaced base malts with dme). hops smelled delicious!!! once they carb up its going to be amazing!!!

Just to come back on this after about 3 weeks in the bottle it became much more balanced and the Caraaroma settled down a bit.
Was indeed not really hoppy but a nice balanced beer. I will brew it again for sure but might go with the Carabohemian next time just for something different plus the fact that I have about 3 pounds of it I would like to use up :)

Looking forward to making this in the coming weeks. Not changing much of anything with the recipe other than possibly subbing Amarillo for Cascade since I have some on hand.

Brewed this yesterday in the smoothest, quickest, and most efficient brew day I've had in a while.

Hit my target numbers and volumes spot on.

Had to alter the recipe a bit so I did not use any chocolate malt and upped the naked oats. Got it fermenting at 62F right now. Smells amazing.

Just to come back on this after about 3 weeks in the bottle it became much more balanced and the Caraaroma settled down a bit.
Was indeed not really hoppy but a nice balanced beer. I will brew it again for sure but might go with the Carabohemian next time just for something different plus the fact that I have about 3 pounds of it I would like to use up :)

So the time has come again to brew this (probably next week).
Last time I hadn't even started with water treatment but it still turned out very good. Since then I finally learned how to use Brun' water, do we have any preferred water profile?

I'm in work now so I'm not sure how much naked oats I still have.
If not enough then I'll sub in some normal crystal malt.
Also still not sure what I will use as substitute for crystal 120 as I can't get that here in Europe.
Caraaroma, Carabohemian or Fawcett Dark Crystal.
Also need to decide on the yeast 1098, M42 or M36.

Decisions decisions :D

So the time has come again to brew this (probably next week).
Last time I hadn't even started with water treatment but it still turned out very good. Since then I finally learned how to use Brun' water, do we have any preferred water profile?

I'm in work now so I'm not sure how much naked oats I still have.
If not enough then I'll sub in some normal crystal malt.
Also still not sure what I will use as substitute for crystal 120 as I can't get that here in Europe.
Caraaroma, Carabohemian or Fawcett Dark Crystal.
Also need to decide on the yeast 1098, M42 or M36.

Decisions decisions :D

So I'm sticking with Caraaroma.
I did plan on using 1098 but I wanted to step up my starter and tasted the decanted wort and it tasted a bit sour :confused:
It might be OK but I'm not risking it and as I want to brew tomorrow I'm going to go with a dry yeast.
Probably M36.

I'll report back in about 6 weeks because from experience the Caraaroma takes a while to mellow.
I'll be kegging this time; I bottled the last attempt. :ban:

Boiling a slightly modified version of this one right now. Columbus to bitter, all cascade late. US-05, grains I did not change. Well, my chocolate malt is 320L so that is different but my color came in at 15.8 per Beersmith. Should be pretty close. Mash smelled nice, can't wait to drink this one in about 5 weeks.

Last edited:
Amazing recipe. I've brewed this 3 times, no changes necessary. I entered this as an American Strong Ale and got a 35.5, then again as an American Amber Ale and got 1st in the category with a 38. I did add 1 oz each Cascade & Centennial dry hop, but I'm not sure it added much.

During the holidays I was looking for a new/different recipe and stumbled across this one. Thinking it would be great to promote this one, cuz @Yooper 's recipes always taste great! ( ;

The yeast starter will be ready tomorrow so I am getting my water additions set up in Bru'n Water spreadsheet tonight. I was thinking of trying this recipe out with the water adjusted to a Malty APA profile this time.

I am still using the Brewtarget software to build recipes and for brew day, is anyone else still using this program?

Last edited:
This beer is delicious! I brewed it a little over a month ago and have let it mellow in the bottles for a few weeks and it is fantastic. I will definitely brew it again.

Cheers!

So I'm sticking with Caraaroma.
I did plan on using 1098 but I wanted to step up my starter and tasted the decanted wort and it tasted a bit sour :confused:
It might be OK but I'm not risking it and as I want to brew tomorrow I'm going to go with a dry yeast.
Probably M36.

I'll report back in about 6 weeks because from experience the Caraaroma takes a while to mellow.
I'll be kegging this time; I bottled the last attempt. :ban:

Just to report back. This version also turned out good but not as tasty. Probably because of the choice of yeast. Had a bit of a red apple flavour. I also did some water treatment and kegged instead of bottling which more than likely also had an influence. Was still very drinkable though. Must get me another pack of 1098 as every beer I brewed with it turned out great. I also think this is a beer that does well in the bottle so next time I will do that and save space in my kegs for an IPA.

I just took the first taste and hydro reading. It started at 1.062 and is now at 1.015 after 6 days. Tastes nice with a good bitterness to it and a full bodied mouth feel. This is pretty much as I expected. I'm leaving it for another few days at least in the primary and then I'll transfer to my secondaries (twin 3gal Better Bottles that fit nicely in my small fridge) to cold crash and clarify and then keg.

Thanks for reminding me about this beer.
Just put it on the list for the start of November and should ready for the holidays.
Will use Caraaroma again but with WLP007, no water treatment and will bottle it instead of kegging this time.

Thanks for reminding me about this beer.
Just put it on the list for the start of November and should ready for the holidays.
Will use Caraaroma again but with WLP007, no water treatment and will bottle it instead of kegging this time.

Here in Germany the number of home brew competitions is very, very, very limited.
However there is one now every year since 2018? arranged by Maisels, a medium sized brewery in Bavaria.
Famous enough for their Weizen but now getting into non-German craft beer since the last 5 to 10 years.

They pick one style of beer that everyone has to have an attempt at and they brew the winner's beer on a commercial scale. However you have to be present on the tasting day and it's a good 6 hour's drive away from me so I never entered it.

Coincidentally a few weeks after I posted the above post they announced the beer style they have picked this year is American Amber/Red and earlier this month they decided because of Covid there is no need to be present.
So I'm going to enter a version of this beer :ban:

I brewed it 3 weeks ago and it is now 5 or 6 days in the bottle and tasting good.
They do have some restrictions on the color, IBUs and ABV so I had to tone it down a bit compared to my previous versions.
I had to drop the Caraaroma and replace it with Fawcetts 240 ECB Crystal or else the color would be darker than allowed.
OG was 1.055 as abv. has to be under 6% and it has 40 IBUs as 45 was the limit.

Still tastes a bit green but should be good to go by the time they to do the tasting on 05-Feb.

Has anyone tried this recipe with a Kveik yeast? I have a pack of dry Omega Lutra I am looking to do something with.

Back