Help with step infusion mashing (with batch sparge)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
Want to do a witbier with unmalted wheat so need to do a protein rest--my first more complicated all grain beer. Can't quite figure out BeerSmith--which mash option do I model? Double infusion? What's the "mash out" step? Is that part of the batch sparge? Looks like it given the water temp is the same. I would think there would be two steps, one for protein rest, one for saccrification, and then batch sparge as normal.

JeffNYC said:
Want to do a witbier with unmalted wheat so need to do a protein rest--my first more complicated all grain beer. Can't quite figure out BeerSmith--which mash option do I model? Double infusion? What's the "mash out" step? Is that part of the batch sparge? Looks like it given the water temp is the same. I would think there would be two steps, one for protein rest, one for saccrification, and then batch sparge as normal.

just do one step at 122F for 30, then do the second step at 150-155F for 30-60 then the last step(mash-out) at 170F for 10 min

Yes, you can put in some of your sparge water for the mash out. Mash out is raising the temperature high enough that the conversion enzymes stop working.

Thanks. One more question: With 1/2 from flaked wheat, do I need 6-row barley for additional enzymes?

Back