Dumb Question: Does RIMS require a false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratslinger

Reaction score
I'm planning to add a RIMS tube to my brewery in the new year. Thing is, I currently use a bazooka screen in my mash tun, not a false bottom, and the more I think about it, the more I start to realize that channeling may be a real concern with RIMS. Is this the case, or am I worrying over nothing?

You may get some feedback from the electric brew forum. If you plan to go RIMS, just do it - worst case scenario, you then need to add a FB later. I'm working on a HERMS system and using a bazooka screen. If it causes channeling or stuck mashes, I'll adjust from there. Just take good measurements, and if you're concerned maybe give it a nice stir when you start to mash and vorlauf until clear.

DaTruf

You certainly could do that. Might help keep it clear.

The issue here is that the port on the kettle/pot/keggle is usually above where a false bottom would sit. If this is not clear than false bottoms require a dip tube to go from the hole in the side of the pot, through a hole in the false bottom and picks up liquid below the false bottom.

Logistically It doesnt really make sense, because the dip tube with the false bottom helps to minimize any liquid that otherwise would be left behind. A bazooka screen usually leaves a bunch of liquid behind, unless you do an potentially scary/heavy tip or dump!

If you really want better filtration that a false bottom would allow (which is pretty good) some folks put a stainless steel kitchen scrubby/brillo right where the dip tube picks up. Other folks use silicone tubing cut horizontally around the perimeter of the false bottom, where the FB meets the kettle walls, to ensure a better seal.

Thing is, I currently use a bazooka screen in my mash tun, not a false bottom, and the more I think about it, the more I start to realize that channeling may be a real concern with RIMS.

Bazooka screens certainly cause more channelling than a false bottom, everything else equivalent. Doesn't mean that tons of people don't use them, but like every single thing in this hobby...there is always something better!

With all the false bottom choices out there which would you consider the best?

Depending on what your vessel is, bobby m at brewhardware is making false bottoms to fit the full width of a keggle. I got in on the beta group and they are sweet. There are tons of bottoms around so hopefully others chime in for use in other vessels.

I use his false bottom in my rims setup.

DaTruf

Other folks use silicone tubing cut horizontally around the perimeter of the false bottom, where the FB meets the kettle walls, to ensure a better seal.

This! This has completely solved my stuck sparges. I would think you would want to avoid channeling with rims to ensure that all of the grain gets good hot and even temp across all of the grains.

Hey all, joined up today because I'm researching some stuff for a proposed RIMS under a falsie in my 50 Litre keg. whilst a little off topic , I see that these concepts are being discussed here.

Currently I run a copper spiral that is drilled to create a manifold in the base of my insulated keg - kinda like the manifolds people put in rectangular coolers only a different shape.

The plan is to fit an electric element and run it on an STC 1000 or a PID and fit a stainless steel false bottom over that AND the existing copper manifold.

Why? Because I'm hoping that the combination will result in super even distribution of the returned wort / sparge and prevent any areas of poor circulation under the false bottom. If I can get good circulation I won't need to add a wort return to the bottom of the keg in order to mix the wort in the void under the falsie.

I should mention that the copper manifold works very well and I get very even rinsing of the grain and little or no channelling so the false bottom is purely to create an area to immerse the element without grain (And thus avoid building a RIMS tube.)

I hope that made sense. Any thoughts ?

A rims tube is not a requirement to build a rims. Simple, consistent recirculation will achieve the same result, often easier and cheaper.

Back