My virgin question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomieJeromie

Reaction score
It's about beer u sicko.

So I was wondering if anyone knew if a coffee filter would be a good idea to use at any point in time to help filter out the junk in the brews. I use priming sugar to carbonate and obviously don't want to lose the presence of yeast when I bottle it. So 1, would a coffee filter strain out the yeast as well as the junk (and yes I am aware of possible contamination by doing this and poss believe a microwave steam sanitizing bag may solve that.)

so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a cheap way to filter some of the loose junk that settles, and at what time.

It's about beer u sicko.

So I was wondering if anyone knew if a coffee filter would be a good idea to use at any point in time to help filter out the junk in the brews. I use priming sugar to carbonate and obviously don't want to lose the presence of yeast when I bottle it. So 1, would a coffee filter strain out the yeast as well as the junk (and yes I am aware of possible contamination by doing this and poss believe a microwave steam sanitizing bag may solve that.)

so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a cheap way to filter some of the loose junk that settles, and at what time.

No. What do you think we are making METH?

I think you would do more harm than good.

Get a racking cane. Most of the trub will be left in the bottom. Some yeast will get kicked up. However, you want this to happen whether you are bottling or moving to secondar. When bottling the yeast that were re-suspended will work to carbonate your beer and in the secondary they will clean up waste products.

You will end up with some sediment in your bottles. Just learn to pour without getting them in your cup.

During your flameout, if you stir the cooling wort into a swirling motion, most of the trub will concentrate to the center, and you can just siphon from the side of the kettle with your racking cane.

I have the auto-siphon and it keeps most of it out but I'm still getting to much junk, in my opinion. The last batch I had seemed to have more in it than normal and it just got me thinkin.

I have the auto-siphon and it keeps most of it out but I'm still getting to much junk, in my opinion. The last batch I had seemed to have more in it than normal and it just got me thinkin.

How long did it sit in primary and secondary if at all.

I have one in secondary that was boiled 5 weeks ago. I moved it to secondary at 3 weeks and nothing has settled out of it at present.

IMG_0915.JPG

However, this one I moved to secondary at 2 weeks, which I think was too soon since there is some sediment. In a couple more weeks, I plan to move this one to another container and let it rest for few days before moving it to bottle.

I am hoping that I will get clearer beer by doing this, but, it hasn't been tested.

IMG_0916.JPG

No. What do you think we are making METH?
I usually don't respond to these comments, however - what good did that response do, what was the point? This is a legitimate question.

Some people will use paint strainers from the local hardware store. I know of people that run their wort through a water filter system similar to what is used on refrigerators. I'm not sure about the coffee filter but it should work. Just remember that you actually need some of that "junk". Your sugar needs yeast in order to carbonate correctly. The yeast in the bottles is actually full of vitamins (B) and has been know to help avoid hangovers.

If you're worried about carrying stuff forward, and are confident in your sanitation procedures, use a secondary. More stuff will settle out, and when you rack to your bottling bucket, less will be carried on. You'll end up with clearer beer right from the get go, and you'll still have enough yeast to carb. Remember, though, that yeast will reproduce in the bottle and leave you with a layer at the bottom regardless. The only way to avoid bottle sediment is to force carb.

I usually don't respond to these comments, however - what good did that response do, what was the point? This is a legitimate question.

Some people will use paint strainers from the local hardware store. I know of people that run their wort through a water filter system similar to what is used on refrigerators. I'm not sure about the coffee filter but it should work. Just remember that you actually need some of that "junk". Your sugar needs yeast in order to carbonate correctly. The yeast in the bottles is actually full of vitamins (B) and has been know to help avoid hangovers.

It was just I joke.

I am from IA, capitol of anhydrous methamphetamines. I went to the store one time for coffee filters when these "tweakers" took the last 4 bags.

First thing that popped into my head. sorry:mug:

Also, I don't think he is talking about straining the wort. He is trying to avoid sediment in his bottles.

It was in primary for 1 week, secondary for 2 weeks and the bottom of the secondary had about 3/4 inch worth of settling and the bottles had a decent amount as well. It was an Extract IPA kit.

Ultimately I would like to know if yeast would pass through the filter, or if not could I pitch another package of yeast into the secondary.

It was only my 2nd brew and I do realize there is much to learn.

If you pass it through a coffee filter, you're likely to oxidize the beer. Next time, just let it settle completely (may take as long as 3 weeks) and then just rack from above the "stuff" on the bottom.

Your answer is no, I don't think you can filter out yeast with a coffee filter.

The best you can hope to do is make sure they are done doing there thing before you bottle your beer. That is why I said that the beer with no sediment sat in primary for 3 weeks.

I imagine there are plenty of healthy yeast left in the secondary with no sediment. You just cannot see them. So, in my thinking, when I bottle that beer after adding some sugar for carbonation I will get some sediment from the priming sugar but not as much, because I gave the yeast plenty of time to clean up there mess before bottling.

Back