Forgot to Purge my Keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
I filled up my corny to about 1inch below the inlet tube, put the lid lid on and forced carb'ed the keg @ 30psi for about 2-3 min. I just realized that I forgot to purge the keg first to get rid of the O2.
I guess it is too late now, the O2 should be mixed with the beer.
Has anyone else done this without suffering from a cardboard tasting beer?
Is there a remedy?

I filled up my corny to about 1inch below the inlet tube, put the lid lid on and forced carb'ed the keg @ 30psi for about 2-3 min. I just realized that I forgot to purge the keg first to get rid of the O2.
I guess it is too late now, the O2 should be mixed with the beer.
Has anyone else done this without suffering from a cardboard tasting beer?
Is there a remedy?

I have never purged any of my kegs. Maybe I'm lucky but I have not had problems. RDWHAHB There is a thread floating around here some where all about this. You will be surprised how many people don't purge there kegs.

There is always going to be some O2 that gets into your beer and causes oxidation, and most of the time a little bit is actually desired, especially in styles like barleywines. I think you'll be fine, especially since stainless steel cornys will not permeate much o2, only around the seals. It will be fine.

As long as you put CO2 pressure after it is filled to purge out any air you will be fine. This also pushes the seals (orings) to their seating position. I always leak check with Starsan in a spray bottle too. If you don't do this then you have no idea if the keg will hold pressure to carbonate and can empty your CO2 supply overnight later when you start forced carbonation.

We've done that and it's been fine. Like mysterberto said, it's probably a lot less exposure ot O2 than regular bottling. Also, you have to figure that the beer off-gassed as you racked to the keg, displacing at least some of the air in the headspace.

Back