Please critique this wheat recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
Please critique and comment on my first attempt at a wheat. I have taken some parts from other recipes I've browsed. I am trying for a lighter wheat... nothing too heavy. Would you do anything different?
thanks,
-J

3.75lb muntons wheat DME
2.5c granulated sugar
1lb crystal malt
1/4oz saaz hops
1oz Hallertauer hops
wyeast #3056 or wlp-0300

Steep 1lb crystal in 2 gal water 30 min @ 160*. Remove grain and bring water to a boil, then add extract & sugar. Dissolve sugar before adding 3/4 oz. Hall hops and saaz hops to the boil for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/4 oz. Hall hops for aroma. Add cool water to bring wort volume to five gallons. Cool to 75 - 80 degrees. Transfer to primary and pitch yeast.

I'm not a fan of adding granulated sugar to beer. I would skip that ingredient and make up for it with more wheat DME, perhaps a total of 5 lbs. Also, with only a 30 minute boil, you're probably not going to get as good a hop utilization so you may end up on the malty side of things.

Other than that, looks like a decent basic wheat.

that should be a nice light recipe, but maybe remove granulated sugar and add a pound or two of dry wheat malt extract instead? It'll taste way better, though if you're trying for extra lightness with the sugar, use corn sugar at least. Also, pull the crystal malt back to like 1/2 or 3/4 lb. A full pound will lend a lot of body and sweetness for not much alcohol or hops. I just did my first wheat recently too, can't wait for the taste test! It is 8lb wheat extract(liquid), 1oz perle, 0.5oz cascade, 0.25oz liberty. East coast ale yeast to bring it home. In hindsight, I wish I added some light crystal malt for head stability, next time for sure. Tangent sorry I know. Your wheat will turn out great, and I recommend a secondary (if possible) even for wheat. But if you want alittle yeast charecter, bottel out of primary.

+1, drop the sugar, add wheat DME, other than that it looks good!

WLP300 is my favorite wheat yeast...try to ferment under 70 F for the best flavour IMO

The crystal is interesting...should give it a more american hefe taste.

I've made some hefeweizens with hallertau and saaz....i usually add the saaz at the end for flavour and aroma, but it works well no matter how you use it. Let us know how this one turns out!

Sugar is for the cute neighbor chick... don't waste it on beer.

Back