priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I know there are several variables to consider but I have a question on the amount of priming sugar I need. I just poured a robust porter and even with a very easy slow pour I get a HUGE head from this stuff. So much that it is a pain. It is not infected as it tastes great. I always use 1 oz of corn sugar per gallon of beer but I think for the darker heavier beers that is too much. I have brewed a VERY light grain bill and use 6 oz ( per instruction from my brew shop guy) and it was perfect. Can someone educate a beginner in an easy to understand manner?

The "proper" amount of carbonation varies according to style, and you will also get different amounts of carbonation depending upon the temperature at which it was fermented.

I use the TastyBrew Carbonation Calculator to help me figure out the correct amount of priming sugar to use. Although, I seem to recall a couple of times that the volumes of CO2 they suggested weren't really to style in my opinion, so I adjusted based on my own judgement. Also I assume you are doing this already, but it is important to consider the volume of beer you are adding sugar to...sometimes I target a 5 gallon batch, but after dry hopping or whatever I end up with only 5 or 4.5 gallons...that can make a big difference in the level of carbonation unless you adjust for it.

In my experience 5oz of sugar per 5 gallon batch is almost always overcarbonated, except for a few styles.

The "proper" amount of carbonation varies according to style, and you will also get different amounts of carbonation depending upon the temperature at which it was fermented.

I use the TastyBrew Carbonation Calculator to help me figure out the correct amount of priming sugar to use. Although, I seem to recall a couple of times that the volumes of CO2 they suggested weren't really to style in my opinion, so I adjusted based on my own judgement. Also I assume you are doing this already, but it is important to consider the volume of beer you are adding sugar to...sometimes I target a 5 gallon batch, but after dry hopping or whatever I end up with only 5 or 4.5 gallons...that can make a big difference in the level of carbonation unless you adjust for it.

In my experience 5oz of sugar per 5 gallon batch is almost always overcarbonated, except for a few styles.
I don't understand any of that.It gave me PSI, not amount of sugar.

Ahhh, he sent you the wrong linky. Use the one below...

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

STOP THE PRESS!

What a great link, thanks for posting. I am surprised at the difference the style makes. We noobs are taught to use 5 oz of priming sugar, period. The calculator just showed that I should have used 8.2 oz for my weizen! That is a significant difference, friends.

What is the difference between dextrose and honey? Can I use simple math? The How To Brew book states 4.5 oz of honey = 5 oz dextrose. In other words, use 9/10ths the calculated amount of dextrose if using honey?

Thanks!

STOP THE PRESS!

What a great link, thanks for posting. I am surprised at the difference the style makes. We noobs are taught to use 5 oz of priming sugar, period. The calculator just showed that I should have used 8.2 oz for my weizen! That is a significant difference, friends.

What is the difference between dextrose and honey? Can I use simple math? The How To Brew book states 4.5 oz of honey = 5 oz dextrose. In other words, use 9/10ths the calculated amount of dextrose if using honey?

Thanks!

That is a good link. I use 4 oz. of corn sugar as my baseline, not 5 oz. and adjust up or down based on whether I want more or less carbonation for a particular batch.

STOP THE PRESS!

Thanks!

Wow, that's a lot of carb! Keep in mind that the regular 12oz bottles we use are only rated to 3vols of CO2, and the temp should be the highest temp that the beer was at.

Not exactly, not all honey is created equal, and for the minimal amount of flavor you'll get priming with it I don't know that I'd use it. Honey is also a very slow ferment in most cases, your bottles will probably take quite a while to carb up.

I know you can dilute a measured amount to figure out the SG and work back from there to get the amount you'd need for carbonation. Just seems like too much work for me.

Wow, that's a lot of carb! Keep in mind that the regular 12oz bottles we use are only rated to 3vols of CO2, and the temp should be the highest temp that the beer was at.

Ahh, the plot thickens... as the style calls for 4.22 volumes of CO2. This brings up a couple of new questions:

1. How can I calculate backwards to find out the expected level of CO2? In other words, I bottled on Sunday, before reading this. I used 5 oz of honey in 4.5 gallons at 72 degrees.

2. Where can I find what different kinds of bottles are rated for?

Thanks ! :mug:

SpaceportBP i would suggest putting your bottles in a box then wrap the box in a big black trash bag with the opening of the bag ON TOP of the box. so if and when your bottles explode the beer doesn't soak into the carpet.

Ahh, the plot thickens... as the style calls for 4.22 volumes of CO2. This brings up a couple of new questions:

1. How can I calculate backwards to find out the expected level of CO2? In other words, I bottled on Sunday, before reading this. I used 5 oz of honey in 4.5 gallons at 72 degrees.

2. Where can I find what different kinds of bottles are rated for?

Thanks ! :mug:

1. Dilute 1:10 in distilled water and find out how many points you'd get from it by measuring the SG. This link should help explain the process.

2. Call the manufacturer, I've successfully carbed some swing top bottles to 4vol of CO2 without an issue.

you use the warmest temp the beer got to after fermentation was over.

Exactly, the warmest temp that the beer has been at. I like to warm mine up 3-5 degrees higher once active fermentation has finished, it helps the yeast to clean up a bit, but also releases some of the CO2 that's in solution.

Latest posts

Back