First time hop grower, with a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveO

Reaction score
Hey Y'all I'm excited because I finally got my Hops planted. Due to a delay in the e-mail system from my LHBS and then some SWMBO conflicts I am finally getting my Hop rhizomes in some dirt. The only area I had to plant in was a abandoned field filled with Pine saplings. I cut them all down. Then I noticed an abundance of Pink Lady Slipper Orchids which lead me to think that my soil is highly acidic. So I went containerized. 25 gallon nursery pots filled with a 50/50 blend of native topsoil and turkey manure compost (pH 6.2). I put up a 18' 3" PVC Hop pole with Poly twine down to the pots, I hope to be able to lower the twine as the bines get longer. Here's a picture of my set-up -

Hoppoleandgarden007.jpg
My question is basic...How long should I expect to see things popping out of the soil with rhizomes taken from the fridge and planted in warm soil? Do y'all see anything wrong with my set-up that I could change now. I am not expecting a high yield this season, but would like to give my Hops a happy home.
Thanks for your advice, I'm stoked about my homebrew with home grown Hops.

Dave:)

I am jealous about the Pink Lady Slipper Orchids in your yard. Your chops should appear in a week or two. I planted a Cascade and Sterling hop this year and two weeks later I have leaves. I wish I had orchids in my yard though.

Thanks Spense for the affirmation. The Orchids are an anomaly that I enjoy. It seems that I have just the right pH and Pine duff to support them. They crop up everywhere, but only in the area the I want to grow my Hops. So I went above ground to deal with the pH. I would say that I could dig you some of the Lady Slippers, but that would kill them. They are so specific to their micro-climate, and their association with soil fungi.

Dave:)

Back