Hobbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookdavis

Reaction score
Is anyone out there a paintball player?? My brother is, and it's his birthday in September, and I was thinking about getting him one of those Spyder paintball guns. Think i could buy this online? I'm not familiar with paintball whatsoever.

I used to be REALLY REALLY big into paintball. I used to play NCAA paintball but it has been about 6 years since I have played so I am not too up to date with everything. I would highly reccomend you check out pbnation.com. Just take a look around there and they will be able to answer any questions you have at all.

I pretty much duplicate Dataz Post
I played for Ohio University for 3 years. Chances are if he already plays paintball a spyder would be either the gun he has, or a clone of it, or the gun he started with. I second pbnation. I wasted many days on their. But beware, they are a bunch of immature kids on there with the occasional adult.
Find out waht setup he has (Marker type, Tank and hopper along with barrel) and we can recommend you some good gift ideas.

But beware, they are a bunch of immature kids on there with the occasional adult.

I am not even sure about there being an occasional adult. Personally I very rarely visited that site just because people on there really pissed me off. Once you get past that though there is a lot of really good info.

Look into Tippmann before you buy the Spyder.

It's been a few years since I've looked at new equipment, so there are probably other good choices out there too.

It is a whole new world. I got out of it when Evo's and DM8's were out. The highend guns in the last 5-6 years have basically stayed the same format but with sexier milling. The high end world has basically settled on 2 styles. Spool valve, and the over under as used in the Bob Long Intimidators carried over to markers such any other timmy, Ego, ect.
Guns are far too sexy. Technology and design is pretty much established for what it can be with the the bps caps within the leagues, now it's just making it smarter and smaller.
10082696554855.jpg

Pulse... feeling lazy and figure you can tell me straight... what adaptor do you need to put a tank like the one pictured above to our CO2 regulators? Friend gave me a tank for a portable setup... I forgot about it, and that pict jogged my memory.

They are they same conections. Just some guns require compressed and some just work better with co2. If you do not need the compressed don't get it. They are MUCH more expensive.

They are they same conections. Just some guns require compressed and some just work better with co2. If you do not need the compressed don't get it. They are MUCH more expensive.

I think he meant to use it on a portable kegging setup.
I don't know of any gun that is going to work better on co2. It might be setup for co2 ie expansion chamber instead of 2ndary regulator. But compressed air is going to be more consistent shot to shot on any gun.....But on that note. I would not get CA for a spyder or tippman playing in the woods. You will get a lot more shot out of a 20oz co2 tank than a 68/45 CA tank. Not to mention it's easier to find a place to fill it.

If you want a really good gift for you brother and he uses CA, I have a Scuba Tank for sale. It will allow him to fill his own tanks.

thanks pulse. sorry to jack the thread and confuse it. I just knew you could tell me off the top of your head. appreciate the link.

Another thing that might work would be to get whats called remote line for the co2 tank. It might be cheaper to go that route.

Good lord what ever happened to the box!!! That thing looks like the Angel Speed.

I used to really like Smart Parts until they started sueing everybody.

Good lord what ever happened to the box!!! That thing looks like the Angel Speed.

They realized that if they wanted a poppit valve to compete with an ego, they better lose some of the excess aluminum.

SP really put a few people under. Sad to see that happen but business is business.

Man it has been a while if you're comparing to the Angel Speed! What a hunk of junk that was :) Never found anyone that was happy with it. Except the homo Elite Raver Angel Fanboys. You could have given them a spyder with a pair of wings on it and they would ahve raved how good it is cause it's Angel.

They realized that if they wanted a poppit valve to compete with an ego, they better lose some of the excess aluminum.

SP really put a few people under. Sad to see that happen but business is business.
Yeah, it sucks what SP did, but it is a business. They made high end competitive guns for entry level prices! Got to give them that.

You could have given them a spyder with a pair of wings on it and they would ahve raved how good it is cause it's Angel.

Isn't that what all angels were? I mean with a e-board and wings. There was one angel that I did like but it was one of the originals. One friend of mine was the biggest angel fan boy I had ever met. He was also a royal *****bag and pu$sy too. I guess they all go together.

I really do need to stay away from this thread from now on because it is giving me that urge to start playing again.

Isn't that what all angels were? I mean with a e-board and wings. There was one angel that I did like but it was one of the originals. One friend of mine was the biggest angel fan boy I had ever met. He was also a royal *****bag and pu$sy too. I guess they all go together.
Yeah Angel Fanboy and Royal *****bag/***** definitely go together.

I really do need to stay away from this thread from now on because it is giving me that urge to start playing again.

I'd love to get out and at least play some woodsball again. I've got an SP Ion and an '03 Shocker just hanging in the garage.

Amen, pulled out the old cocker this afternoon. Still have air in my tank!

What kind?

I'd love to get out and at least play some woodsball again. I've got an SP Ion and an '03 Shocker just hanging in the garage.

I have an '01ish (don't know the actual year) matrix that I love but have given me a lot of problems and my old reliable, a SHO cocker.

You Matrix gave you problems?? I had either an 01 or 02, not sure which. The Gen E before Dye. Was my favorite gun out out of all the ones I owned. What kind of problems does it give you? It was the simplest gun I owned. A little heavy, but I was a back man the season I used it. I sold it and downgraded to an Ion since I wasn't playing much.

I think we might have the same ones. It was the big assed Gen E one. I have tons of problems with the main reg (really should have just replaced the damn thing but never had the money) and had some problems with the solenoid. I really want to get it back out and try and get it running but who knows if I can still even find parts for it and my tank is out of date so I would need to get it hydroed.

I still have two of my autocockers. I have a 2k4 WGP that I ebladed and I have a 2k1 ANS GX3. I will grab some pictures.

My roommate had a couple matrixes that he just sold off. Those guns were work horses but I always felt like the hopper was too far forward in relation to the trigger frame.

I used to love the gx3. I was saving up to buy one of those but ended up getting something else.

We had a cocker guy on our team at OU. Cocker people all seem to be Die hard cocker people. I like them for an all mech game, but it electros are being used, I never liked the feel of the eblades.
I'll try and take some pics of my setups tonight :) Damn you guys. Wife is not gonna be happy when I start pulling this stuff down from storage:) Unless the pics get some of it sold!

I don't think I could ever bare to sell what I still have left. I probably wouldn't get crap for it anyway.

Never got into paintball but I've played airsoft numerous times. Nothing super serious like I know some people get with staging famous battles and such but friends running around the ranch playing capture the flag. Pretty fun.

Never got into paintball but I've played airsoft numerous times. Nothing super serious like I know some people get with staging famous battles and such but friends running around the ranch playing capture the flag. Pretty fun.

We bought airsoft pistols in college. We had a fairly large 2 story house with 4 guys in. Another house of 2 guys bought them too and would come over. we'd split 3 upstairs, 3 downstairs and go to hell.
Me and my one roomy had the Tombradier Laura Croft guns and chopped the front shrouds off. Those are fun for close combat.

Funny I should come across this thread, Im actually sitting at the local paintball store (summer job) as we speak. I would say go with a Tippman 98 Custom or a BT-4 Combat (BT = Ben Tippman, his new company). I generally tell that to anyone who comes in here looking to buy a new setup. The Tippman/BT Products will outlast almost anything out there, they require very little maintenance and shoot consistantly well, even when neglected (not that I recommend that). The Spyders are decent guns, but in my experiences the Tippman/BT have always been more durable and user friendly.

Also I recommend a decent Thermal/Anti Fog lense mask. It may be a little extra coin, but nothing sucks worse than spending $200 on gear and then not being able to see through a thick layer of fog on your mask when you go to play. The Proto FS or Proto Switch are good anti fog masks which arent too expensive.

Also a very important rule of thumb about marker care, **IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT TRY TO FIX IT**. There are many small springs and pins within your marker that are very easy to lose. Cleaning should be a very simple process:

1.Wipe off any paint on your marker after you play

2.Clean the barrel/breach of any paint/dirt

3. Once every 2000 rounds or so, drop a few drops of paintball gun oil in the ASA (where the co2 goes) and fire a few dry fires (no paint, no barrel) to blow the oil into the working parts of the gun and keep the Orings from dry rotting.

THATS IT, Take the Gun to your local Paintball store for any major problems (which should be few and far between if you keep your equipment clean)

Finally, with regard to the comment below...

But beware, they are a bunch of immature kids on there with the occasional adult.

Ive found this comment to be nothing but a common misconception about paintball... When paintball first got started 20-30 years ago this may have been the case, however if you go to any large scenario event you will find fathers, sons, uncles, nephews, and yes, even daughters and SWMBOs. My boss (pushing 50) still goes out every sunday to play and on the sundays that I can get off work I tag along and there are plenty of guys (and girls) in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. If you take a trip to your local commercial field on any given sunday Im you will find the same.

Sorry for the long post:D, I tend to rant lol. Hope I was Helpful

Peace:rockin:

Finally, with regard to the comment below...

Ive found this comment to be nothing but a common misconception about paintball... When paintball first got started 20-30 years ago this may have been the case, however if you go to any large scenario event you will find fathers, sons, uncles, nephews, and yes, even daughters and SWMBOs. My boss (pushing 50) still goes out every sunday to play and on the sundays that I can get off work I tag along and there are plenty of guys (and girls) in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. If you take a trip to your local commercial field on any given sunday Im you will find the same.

Sorry for the long post:D, I tend to rant lol. Hope I was Helpful

Peace:rockin:

Irregular and I both were not talking about the sport in general but actually the pbnation forums..

Thanks for clearing that up Dataz, And yes I agree paintball fields are, for the most part, full of great people and most are willing to help anyone out.
I'd recommended a little higher end marker because I thought he said his buddy or whatever was already really into the game so he probably already has a tippy or spyderclone.

Latest posts

Back