Dry hopping ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daznz

Reaction score
Hi ya

Im all a bit new to dry hopping im looking at using 3 hop varietys. do you
guys think if i used 1oz of each variety in 5gal batch would that be to much.
cheers Daza

Daznz said:
Hi ya

cheers Daza

I don't think you can have too many hops, especially when dry hopping. Depends on the style of brew and personal taste. I use 4 ozs of pellets in my IPAs, but I'm a confirmed hophead.

Daznz said:
Hi ya

cheers Daza

Followup question: When you say 3 ozs of hops, do you mean pellets or whole leaf? If whole leaf hops, you can dry hop with huge amounts and not ruin the beer.

i disagree with the notion that somehow whole hops deliver any more ibu than that of pellets.

furthermore - in regards to ruining the beer, what's to ruin?

the only thing you're going to get out of dry hopping is aroma.

I tried my first dry hop on this batch. I threw an ounce of fuggels pellets to mt cream ale and gonna see what happens. Seems like it take almost 2 weeks for all the pellets to drop. I hope it has good aroma.

brewhead said:
i disagree with the notion that somehow whole hops deliver any more ibu than that of pellets.

furthermore - in regards to ruining the beer, what's to ruin?

the only thing you're going to get out of dry hopping is aroma.

I think your disagreement is really agreement. I'm saying an oz of whole leaf hops will be less potent than an oz of pellets.

Any tips on dry hopping methodology? Got an IPA to dryhop this weekend, going to get some whole hops. Should I use a hop bag? Do I have to do anything to them beforehand, or can they be presumed sterile-enough to add directly? Drop them on top after I've racked, or add them to the carboy, then rack on top of them? Any tips?

the_bird said:
Any tips on dry hopping methodology? Got an IPA to dryhop this weekend, going to get some whole hops. Should I use a hop bag? Do I have to do anything to them beforehand, or can they be presumed sterile-enough to add directly? Drop them on top after I've racked, or add them to the carboy, then rack on top of them? Any tips?

Don't use a hop bag in a carboy that'd be hell to get it out. Just toss them in before racking. They'll float on the top throughout. Assumption of sterile is correct; or at least that you don't need to worry about them contaminating your beer.

tips - no more than 2 weeks with dry hopping.

My personal opinion is more is not necessarily better. I did an IPA with 2oz dry hop and another with 1oz. I can't tell the difference.

To get them out of a carboy after transfering to bucket/keg. Keep adding some water, and shake them out. No problem getting them out this way. They'll clog the plumbing if your not careful; even with the garbage disposal. I deliver this knowledge through experience :eek:.

the_bird said:

I've never had a problem just throwing pellets right from the vacuum packet on top of the brew after I've racked to secondary. I don't use whole hops, but I know some people steam them beforehand to kill any nasties.

The other little tidbit on dry-hopping and why it's not really necessary to do anything with them but toss them in (steaming is not required). The reason for dry hopping was because of the preservative nature of the hop flower to make the trip to India. It suppressed the beer from going bad on the journey.

desertBrew said:
They'll clog the plumbing if your not careful; even with the garbage disposal. I deliver this knowledge through experience :eek:.

I've always dumped spent hops and grains in the trash, but I'll remember to stay away from dumping them down the drain. Thanks for the tip. That begs a questions, though. I'm on a septic system, does anyone know if there's any danger in dumping an old yeast cake down the drain? Just wondering.

I've read here that its good for a septic. How they know, I have no idea...

desertBrew said:
I've read here that its good for a septic. How they know, I have no idea...

Maybe the yeast eats the poop. I don't know, I hope so.

Prost! said:
Maybe the yeast eats the poop. I don't know, I hope so.

As long as your septic ferment doesn't require a blow-off tube I think you're ok :cross:.

Prost! said:
Followup question: When you say 3 ozs of hops, do you mean pellets or whole leaf? If whole leaf hops, you can dry hop with huge amounts and not ruin the beer.

Thanks for your help guys.... yea they are pellets i think ill but 1oz of each 3 Varietys
cheers Daza

Prost! said:
I'm on a septic system, does anyone know if there's any danger in dumping an old yeast cake down the drain? Just wondering.

Warning: If you do this, you'll suddenly find yourself with a back yard full of college kids wondering where all that Milwaukee's Best they're smelling is stashed at. Be prepared: have plenty of hacky-sack circles, a DJ and someone selling grilled cheese sandwiches.

Cheesefood said:
Warning: If you do this, you'll suddenly find yourself with a back yard full of college kids wondering where all that Milwaukee's Best they're smelling is stashed at. Be prepared: have plenty of hacky-sack circles, a DJ and someone selling grilled cheese sandwiches.

I'll put up a big sign in the front yard, "BMC in Back, BYO Straw".

I personally like to dry hop in the keg with whole hops in a sterial hop bag. I will tie the bag to the lid with a steralized tye rap. seems to work for me and within the two week so called limit on dry hopping, the beer in the keg is lower than the hop bag so I just wait to pull them untill the keg is dead. dosent take to long for that to happen around here.
JJ

Cheesefood said:

Bwahahahahaha!! That is just plain funny!!! :D :ban:

Back