Bucket or carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bucket. It is much easier to get even priming when you mix the priming sugar in the bucket.

Cut a 1 1/2" piece of tubing and attach the bottling wand directly to the spigot. Raise the bottle onto the wand and fill. That is much easier than inserting the wand on a long hose into each bottle.

If you siphon from the carboy that forces you into measuring and priming into each bottle separately. This probably doubles or triples the time it would take to bottle the batch.

Your priming wine? Make sure you have champagne bottles then bud. If you are not priming I'd do the carboy, no need for extra air in your wine from an unneeded rack right before bottling.

I have a number of fermenters abut I only use my Plastic for beers that will be in them less than 5 weeks though I have gone longer... I do all my fermentation and bottling in the same bucket. I:

1 -Sterilize a Pyrex measuring cup 2 cup.
2 - Boil my water with sugar
3 - Put it in the Pyrex measuring cup
4 - Turn it sideways and slowly immerse the whole thing in my beer.
5 - A very slight stir with a sterilized spoon (not all the way down)
6 - Wait a few minutes and bottle

I use a bucket, it helps to avoid getting sediment in the bottles during bottling, and it's easier with a bottling wand attached to the spigot on the bottling bucket. Make gravity work for you.
Regards, GF.

I use a bucket, it helps to avoid getting sediment in the bottles during bottling, and it's easier with a bottling wand attached to the spigot on the bottling bucket. Make gravity work for you.
Regards, GF.

I use a bottling bucket as well, even though by the time I bottle there isn't any sediment in the carboy. I have trouble maintaining a siphon and filling bottles at the same time, and just find it easier to use a bottling bucket.

I'm buying a spigot for a bucket and will use it from now on. I had a heck of a time at last bottling trying to keep a siphon with my bottling wand!

Bucket. It is much easier to get even priming when you mix the priming sugar in the bucket.

Cut a 1 1/2" piece of tubing and attach the bottling wand directly to the spigot. Raise the bottle onto the wand and fill. That is much easier than inserting the wand on a long hose into each bottle.

If you siphon from the carboy that forces you into measuring and priming into each bottle separately. This probably doubles or triples the time it would take to bottle the batch.

Your priming wine? Make sure you have champagne bottles then bud. If you are not priming I'd do the carboy, no need for extra air in your wine from an unneeded rack right before bottling.

AH!!!! (a day later) I used the new posts button and responded to the title and didn't see what section the OP posted in. So, I was talking about bottling beer!:eek:

i use a bucket with a spigot...just make sure the valve is in the off position before transfering haha Ive made that mistake twice now

Back