Confused about my PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The relay on the PID is only rated 3A so you will need an SSR or contactor to switch the load.

You would connect your power wiring for your element through a SSR or contactor and use terminals 8 and 9 to trigger/switch the SSR or contactor.

I use a contactor with a 120v coil. I have not used SSR's and am not certain on their switching requirements.

If the fifth digit in the model number is a 2 than you can only use a ssr

the ssr will connect to pin 8 and pin 9 the thermocouple will connect to pin 4 and 5
supply power is pin 6 and 7.

This helps a lot. As to the model number, there isn't one. There is a label on it that has ssr drive checked. So do I hook up a fused hot to 8, and neutral to 9?

A 5A fast blow fuse will go in the supplyline to pin 6 and neutral to pin 7.
a fuse is not needed between the pid and ssr.

This helps a lot. As to the model number, there isn't one. There is a label on it that has ssr drive checked. So do I hook up a fused hot to 8, and neutral to 9?

No. That's a good way to kill your PID. SSRs use low voltage DC on the control side. If your PID has a SSR driver, pin 8 and 9 are low voltage OUTPUTS. An SSR driver is not a relay. You will see on your SSR that one side will say 240V AC and the other side will say something like 3VDC-34VDC. You need to connect those low voltage terminals to pin 8 and 9.

MrH

This may help I labeled the terminals to make things a little easier to understand
MachineryItems053.jpg

Ok it all makes since now except the ssr drive not being a relay. I just ordered an ssr for this, was I wrong?

Thank you. I'm going to take the lessons learned from this smoker project, and apply them to an electric rims system.

Before you get an SSR, figure out what your electrical load will be. If it's less than 3 amps, then you can use the built in relay. If it's over 3 amps, get the SSR.

Before you get an SSR, figure out what your electrical load will be. If it's less than 3 amps, then you can use the built in relay. If it's over 3 amps, get the SSR.

I'm planning on using an electric smoker element. I'm not sure what the watts are on it yet, but I'm sure it will be more than 3 amps.

Back