Apple Cider basic SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gosassin

Reaction score
Does anyone know the base SG for plain, unpasteurized unpreserved nonalcoholic apple cider? Or an average? I started my cider brewing a week or so ago, before I got a hydrometer. Now I have one, and the SG is .990, and I think the fermentation is done. Since I don't have the original SG, I don't know what the ABV might be.:confused:
Any help is appreciated!

I can't read all of my own writing'

The OG of the juice itself was 1.05? something.

After adding 2# of cane sugar to 6-gallons of the juice it was 1.063.

Pogo

Thanks for the info, y'all. I used 1lb of honey and 1lb of brown sugar to sweeten, so I'm going to figure the SG of the pre-fermented brew was around Pogo's figure of 1.06, which means my ABV should be around 9.5%. Not bad! :mug:

Just a note that the OG in my experience has been dependent on the juice. Treetop is ~1.050, but Martinelli's seems to be a bit sweeter and as high as 1.058-1.059.

I measured my Martinelli's at 1.052 I think, but I'm at work so I can't check. I know that Trader Joes juice is 1.050, as is Treetop and Smart and Final brand.

New question for an old post: I started with an OG for store-bought juice of 1.045 and potential alcohol of 6%. After one week in the primary with cider yeast I have 1.020 and 3%. Based on a FG of around 1.000, I might get 5% alcohol. I plan to back sweeten and bottle carb with concentrate and maybe bottling sugar, then pasteurize. What can I do, if anything, to increase the alcohol at this point? Thanks in advance.

Add any type of fermentable sugar. The boost in SG can be added to the OG for an updated ABV.

+1

There's no hard rule when you can add fermentables. Add a thawed tube of Concentrate or some grape juice. You could even boil some dextrose, brown, white, raw, turbinado etc etc - sugar in a small amount of juice and dump that in. But you will need to plan on letting it sit and ferment/age for a bit longer if you do.

Personally, I don't see the problem with a 6% cider.

How about this, take 12 oz of cider, 2 oz of black label bourbon, a dash of simple syrup and stir with a cinnamon stick? We'll call it a Johnny Daniels and all get loaded. ;)

Johnny Appleseed?...Jack Daniels? well maybe there's something more appropriate for it to be named.

Well everyone will give a different opinion of what they would add. Mine would be to boil a cup of brown sugar (for a 5 gallon batch) in 2 cups of juice and toss in a BIG handfull of raisins. Let it boil for 10 mins or so, run it through a strainer...cool it to 70ºF and pour it in.

If you want to calculate your final ABV...you'll need to take specific measurements of your volumes, sugar content of the juice and the OG of the final 'tea". (but I'd just toss it in without measurements and see where it ends up)

You're right, 6% would be just about right. I was thinking it might be lower if I stopped fermentation early to keep it sweet, but there's no need to do that if I back sweeten. Now I'm thinking let it go to 1.000ish to get to 6%, then add a tube of concentrate, then bottle, then pasteurize after a bit. I might try that Johnny Daniels next Fall! Thanks much folks!

Back