Transfer to primary without filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimney

Reaction score
I attempted my first batch last night and all went well. The only thing I didn't do was to filter the wort as I poured into the primary. I tryed to leave as much sediment in the brewpot as I could but most of it was suspended in the wort. Will this be a problem or should I not worry?

Don't worry, some people dump everything from the brewpot in, some try to leave some behind and others run it through a strainer, it really is a matter of choice.

Just leave your beer for 3-4 weeks in your primary, or rack to a secondary after fermentation is complete (when hydrometer readings over 3 successive days remain the same) and the stuff will settle down just fine.....The longer you leave it the more settled/clear it will be.

No need to filter.

I good rule of thumb though is to leave it in the primary until the sediment settles. Then do your thing.

It sounds like you are racking too soon.

Latest posts

Back