Alcohol Content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdew4545

Reaction score
So I have yet to buy myself a hydrometer, but do plan to soon. I was curious on what most of you guys use for content ABW or ABV? ABV seems to make more intuitive sense. I don't know anyone that tabulates the amount of liquid they drink by weight. But i also read on a website that ABW is what is commonly used in the US. I'm just curious if a main stream 'beer' like Miller Lite is 3.5% ABW or ABV. I wouldn't think most people would understand ABW as well, but if that is the standard that truly is used, I would use it as well for my measurements to have better comparisons.
Let me know any info you have.

The US is the only country on earth that still uses ABW, everywhere else uses ABV.

The difference in the two scales is what started the old wives tale that Canadian beer is higher alc% than US beer.

Even here in the US we don't use ABW much anymore - or at least I honestly cannot say when the last time I saw it in use. Everything is labeled by ABV anymore.

cdew, concerning Millter Lite, or any other major brand of beer, the alcohol content will vary on where it's sold (dependent on what's allowed by law). Some places it's 3.5% ABV, here in OH I think it's 5% (maybe 5.5%?) ABV.

Latest posts

Back