Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfred88

Reaction score
I was wondering after the wort is chilled and teansfering to fermentor should I filter the sediment out or put all of in it the fermentor?

I use a dual layer fine mesh strainer on top of my plastic fermenters to strain the chilled wort & top off water. Less trub in the end means more clear beer for me. It also makes yeast washing easier.

I was wondering after the wort is chilled and teansfering to fermentor should I filter the sediment out or put all of in it the fermentor?

Yes! .... or maybe NO! Either way is fine. The hops will all settle out in the fermenter when the yeast are done stirring it up and the yeast will settle on top of them. Given some time the yeast will compact on top of the hops and you can rack above them when you transfer the beer to the bottling bucket.

+1, either way is fine. As long as you are careful when you siphon over the beer to keg/bottle, having the extra trub in the wort/beer doesn't really matter. Some of the hot break/cold break proteins are actually good for yeast health!

I used to filter out the break material before I had an auto-siphon. Now, it's so easy to siphon over without disturbing the trub layer at all, that I just throw it all in the fermenter.

Back