Mashing out with a mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britinusa

Reaction score
I ma just making my second brew and I am using my Rubbermaid mash tun for the first time, how do i perform the mash out step where I increase the temp to 170f? do i do this by adding hot water before i do the initial drain of the wort?

you have to take into account your mash temp. if you are mashing 10 lbs of grain (1.5 quarts per pound) at 152 and you add want to mash out at 170 you have to add 7.3 quarts of boiling water. if you add 170 degree water it will not reach your mash out temp of 170.

OK i didnt do that, What does the mash out higher temp achieve?

if you didn't actually mash out it's fine, many people skip the mash out. mashing out (170 degrees or so) stops the enzyme reactions and locks in the fermentable sugar profile.

Your second addition of water should be 170 degrees, that is your mashout.

If your sparge water is 170, your grain bed will never hit 170. I use water about 190F for batch sparging, which gets me close to a 170 grain bed. But for a true mashout, you need to hold the 170+ temp for at least 20 min. Most homebrewers don't do that, and for batch sparging a mashout it really unnecessary.

Back