but was it cask ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
whoaaa, where'd my post go? 'Scuse me if you read this one before, hic. umm, anyways, trying again...

So, I just got back from my local micro (Trout River) and had their Rainbow Red ale which they have been serving as a "cask ale" recently. I asked the server last week if it was dispensed with CO2 and he did not know. I asked the same servere this week if it was served from the nitro tap as it was REALLY creamy, he said it was served fom the nitro tap but only used CO2?!

It was quite tasty, very creamy and smooth and much different from how it ussually tastes on tap or in bottles. Was it cask though? Unfortunately the server never seems to know much about the beers. I think I kind of annoy him with my questions actually. I'll pick the owner/brewers brain tommorrow at the VT brewfest. He is usually pretty willing to talk about his beers. Unfortunately he is not always there in the pub.

Any thoughts on cask ales and how to know if I got the "real thing". There are supposed to be a few other cask beers served at the brew fest I attending tomorrow. Since i have never had any, I can not say I would know any different.

i brewed a clone of this beer i love it! I bet this would be awsome cask conditioned. a little bit of a thread hijack but..... anyone know how to get close to cask conditioned in corny without a beer machine or whatever is used?

well, I obviously am no expert on cask ales, but I will post whatever else I find out from the brewmeister tomorrow.

I like their rainbow red ale okay , but I have to say it was much more enjoyable in this "format" no matter what it was. I think Orfy cask conditions his brews in cornies. You might ask him. I think w/o a be
er engine you would need a way to set it up to serve with gravity.

We have a Cask Conditioned ale at my bar. We use a hand-pump beer engine, so it is neither powered Nito or CO2. It is also served at cellar temp, so it is a bit warmer than "normal" brews.

Cheers

Back