Lost hops in boil over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando632

Reaction score
Long story short, I got a boil over a few minutes after adding the first hop addition. There was a lot of hop residue on the stove after, at boil over the hops had broken up but were mostly floating at the top. I added a half addition to make up for the loss. Was that the right move?

Hard to say how much was really lost and if too much or not enough was added. It will still be beer when its done. Just a little more/less bitter than it should. May turn out to be the best beer you have ever had. Let us know when its finished.

my experience has always been that the more random and immeasurable things you do to your beer, the better it will taste, and the more difficult it will be to reproduce. you end up chasing the dragon for the rest of your life. even a blessing can be an annoyance...

Ive done this twice....fortunatly I caught it before it became a huge mess both times, but the first time i was running a kit. I didnt add anything, and it came out deliscious.

The second time I added some extra hops and it ended up having alot more bitterness then it was supposed to, but i liked it even more that way.

Either way i think you'll be happy

Forget about muslin bags and get some Fermcap S next time you are at the homebrew show. A few drops of that and you eliminate the chance of a boil over.

Back