Keeping up with consumption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mward

Reaction score
I'm barely keeping my head above water now. I can generally pull off one batch per week and as soon as it's fermented and carbonated we're drinking it. Kegging, which is awesome, turns out to not be so awesome because I'm pulling imperial pints instead of 12 oz bottles. Big difference in the amount of glasses you get out of a keg!! I guess the answer is 2 batches per week until I get ahead.

Sorry, just whining for no reason. Brewing beer is awesome. How do you guys keep up?

My wife says, "Ooh, look at the banana dancing, put that in your post".

:ban: :ban: :ban:

:cross:

I know how you feel. Today I had a day off and wanted to go buy another recipe from the homebrew store. Instead I'm laying in and watching the new HDtv my wife purchase for me and drinking lots of homebrew. I'm so happy :tank:

Buying a recipe? Or buying a kit? If that HBS sells "recipes" then that's kinda, well,.. f**ked.

I bot a bunch of US pint glasses and some smaller pils glasses. Those imp pints were draining my kegs to fast.

Instead of 2 a week, why not one 10g a week. Or are you already doing 10g batches?

I'm doing 5 gallon batches right now. I don't have a boil pot big enough for 10 gallon batches. I don't have a fridge for extra consumables right now either so that might be an issue. Guess it's time to start acquiring.

mward said:
I'm doing 5 gallon batches right now. I don't have a boil pot big enough for 10 gallon batches. I don't have a fridge for extra consumables right now either so that might be an issue. Guess it's time to start acquiring.

Learn some self control??? lol who am i kidding...

Do 10 gallon batches but do 5 gallons at a time. It's like 2 brews but just the same recipe.... Do you even get a chance to taste your beers when they get REALLY good from conditioning???

I have the opposite problem, I can't drink fast enough to keep up with my brewing. I had a poker night yesterday and was happy to see people hitting up every one of my faucets.

this is why you need a larger brewing system. 15 gallons a week will set you up pretty. sometimes i'll do 3x15 gallon brews in a day

i most often drink from a tasters glass - but that only means you have to make more trips to the tap

Do multi-brew days.
I found it takes less time than two separate brews. My last session I did two 5gal AG batches and had everything cleaned up by 2pm. With a little more equipment, I'm sure I could bring that time in. I had to wait on the first boil to finish before I could start by first runnings because I had no room for the wort. An extra turkey fryer would really save time but even an extra bucket would help with the multi-brew days.
If you are doing extract batch there is probably less time savings in doing back to back but you still save some on cleaning and sanitation steps.

Craig

DeadYetiBrew said:
Learn some self control??? lol who am i kidding...

Do 10 gallon batches but do 5 gallons at a time. It's like 2 brews but just the same recipe.... Do you even get a chance to taste your beers when they get REALLY good from conditioning???

Sometimes they get real good right as we finish the keg. I also (right now) am not brewing things that require a ton of conditioning. Seriously, I don't plan this, it's just how it turns out. My wife and I both like beer so it goes quickly. A keg is 2 imperial pints each for 8 days. :\ I don't think 2 pints per day would be considered excessive. I am going to get some smaller glasses.

I am wondering if I could mash for 10 gallons, collect the runoff in an intermediate container and then boil 5 gallons worth at a time. Anyone ever do something like that?

Damn... i hope its more then one person drinking this...pretty CRAZY to pound down 5 gallons of home brew a week! Thats like 7-8 beers a night, every night!!

Maybe my math is flawed. 5 gallons is 40 pints. If my wife and I have 2 pints each per night, that's 4 pints each night, which would make it last 10 days. If you drink imperial pints, it would last 8 days. All I know is the last keg (my first) went pretty darn fast. I guess if you drink 12 oz glasses it'd last about 2 weeks. We don't drink every night. I just am having a hard time keeping up because I don't typically brew every weekend.

well ok... two people hitting the keggerator... thats a bit more reasonable I guess. IDK... lately Ive been drinking a lot less. Maybe its cause I have two brews on taps that are over 8% ABV ;)

Sirsloop has the right idea, keep 9% and above on tap and you'll see your consumption drop dramatically. A barleywine, an IIPA, and a RIS on tap and you should be set.

Yeah everything I've brewed lately has been under 4%. Session beers. If this were 8% and up I wouldn't be hitting it nearly as often.

thebikingengineer said:
Sirsloop has the right idea, keep 9% and above on tap and you'll see your consumption drop dramatically. A barleywine, an IIPA, and a RIS on tap and you should be set.

No way! I'd rather drink more with less effect than less with more effect. Brew more is the only answer. ;)

Bobby_M said:
I have the opposite problem, I can't drink fast enough to keep up with my brewing. I had a poker night yesterday and was happy to see people hitting up every one of my faucets.

I have a similiar problem. My problem is that I currently just don't want to drink any, for fear of not having enough for a future party (huge 4th of July). Right now I have three 5 gallon batches bottled that I'm sitting on, one in the primary, and another to be brewed Thursday.

I'm broke until payday so I may just have to weeze a few from my supply. :cross:

Waistline seems to be holding steady. I used to race bicycles and am trying to get motivated enough to do that again so I have a calorie deficit. Thanks for looking out for me guys. :)

I dont see the problem, logistically... just get a second primary and secondary and keep 15 gallons fermenting at any one time. You should always have at least 10 gallons in primary, and at least 5 gallons in secondary depending on when you kegged the 4th batch. If you get a stock pile up, you will be happier with your beer. Man... if you had enough laying around for at least a month (4-5 full kegs in storage) , when you actually got around to drinking it...it would be a heck of a lot better. All it takes is a few extra kegs and a marathon brewing month. Then after that you just need to brew at the consumption rate of one keg per week. Thats still a hell of a lot of brew!!! Thats 260 gallons a year!!!!!!!!

Maybe brew less and offset it with commercial beers?

IDK... IMHO the answer is less consumption but thats not my decision to make ;) I'd be buzzed every night at that rate... and probably a few pounds heavier...

I try and keep ahead of myself with 6 kegs in the chest, 3 on tap, and at least 10 gallons fermenting. I tend to brew 10 gallon batches 2-3 times per month. My friends are all thirsty, but half of them are brewers too so it evens out. :cross:

Denny's Evil Concotions said:
Yeah, I can have kegs sitting here lasting a fiar while, then suddenly a coupel gathering at your house and you empty. It's amazing how fast it can go when you have friends/family over.

Well said.

I like to watch the over 40's do drinking games and keg stands. :eek:

Denny's Evil Concotions said:
Yeah, I can have kegs sitting here lasting a fiar while, then suddenly a coupel gathering at your house and you empty. It's amazing how fast it can go when you have friends/family over.
Amen. My college aged (over 21) daughters are home for the summer. It's amazing how popular my blue moon clone is with them. I even have them liking my SNPA clone.

Here's my current stash:

Nierra Sevada (ala SNPA) on the right, Orange Kolsch on the left
Inventory1.JPG

Guiness, Orange Kolsch, Red Hook ESB and Bass Ale...all primed with corn sugar and conditioning.
Inventory2.JPG

Belgian Blonde, Red Hook ESB, Bass Ale, Guiness. Gas carbing and cold conditioning.
Inventory3.JPG

10 more gallons of my Blue Balls Belgian Wit.
Inventory4.JPG

And I have a 10-gallon batch of my SNPA clone on its way for this weekend.

Latest posts

Back