HELP!!! Did i do the right thing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borovy3488

Reaction score
I went in to look at my fermentation bucket this morning, and the airlock was full of foam and bubbling at the top. When I removed the airlock foam and pieces of hops exploded into the air. I quickly searched for a bucket blowoff tube and tried to fashion one. Here's some pictures. I just want to make sure my brew is ok, its my first recipe.

ForumRunner_20110320_124324.jpg

ForumRunner_20110320_124344.jpg

I can't quite tell from the pictures where everything is!

It'll be fine, though. The sanitized tubing goes into the hole where the airlock was. The other end of the tubing goes into a pitcher/jar/bucket that has sanitizer/water in it so that the end is covered with liquid. That pitcher should be on the floor, not on top of the fermenter. Is that the way you have it?

As long as nothing can get into the bucket you should be good - once the vigorous foaming is done you can put in the airlock.

B

Normal behavior. Vigorous fermentation at the beginning is a good thing. I always use a blowoff tube in the primary and put the airlock on the secondary.

The sanitized tubing goes into the hole where the airlock was. The other end of the tubing goes into a pitcher/jar/bucket that has sanitizer/water in it so that the end is covered with liquid. That pitcher should be on the floor, not on top of the fermenter. Is that the way you have it?
And just to leave nothing unsaid, the end of the tubing in the bucket must be above the level of the beer. Otherwise, you'll siphon the beer out (at least, until the level drops to where the tubing ends).

Bucket is now on the floor and tubing is not in the beer. This is my second beer, so I guess I wasn't expecting that much activity! Thanks for the help as always guys. About how long does it take to be able to use the airlock again?

Came home yesterday to a massive blowoff that clogged my tubing and popped the seal on my bucket...just glad it popped and didn't explode. I made this at 6 this morning!!! I wanted to collect the yeast and see how much I was losing through the blowoff, so I made a Burton Union type thingy.

250.jpg

251.jpg

Best of both worlds...I get the yeast instead of killing them in the StarSan, I get to watch the airlock bubble away, and everything stays sanitary :rockin:

That's pretty cool, you think you'll be able to crop enough yeast for another batch?

It has slowed down a bit but definitely would have if I had made it yesterday when it started rather than this morning when I thought of it. Right now there is enough to pitch into a starter, but I already have a bunch of this WLP550 washed and saved...this is actually a batch brewed from the washed yeast. I will probably use this yeast to do a fermentability test on my homemade Belgian candi syrup vs. table sugar. I think the Maillard reactions convert a portion to non-fermentables and I'd like to know how much so I can plug the numbers into BeerSmith.

Back