Does it take longer to carbonate 22oz bottles VS 12oz bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerthanyou83

Reaction score
Ok on know that on this forum everyone recommends 3 weeks for letting your bottles carbonate. However, I bottled 22 oz beers not 12oz beers. And I was wondering if you place your bottles in the fridge after the time it spent carbonating wouldn’t the beer turnout flatter because of the temperature of the gas before it went in the fridge compared to what your pouring it at?

Thanx for any help:mug:

22 oz bottles often take longer to carb. 3 weeks is the minimum with some beers taking longer than a month. After 3 weeks, put one beer in the fridge and try it.

Haven't seen any difference between 500ml and 1L bottles so far... I have a few 750ml Belgian bottles chilling down now, that I'll be opening up before the weekend is over...

If anything, I would give them a day or two longer in the fridge for the CO2 to go into the brew. Plus, it will help the trub to compact tighter and the brew to clear up better.

I bottle condition as close to 70F as I can.... Right now, the room is in the 70-74F range (cooler where the brew is sitting)... I typically will sample just one after at least two weeks carbonating. I let them go a full three weeks before chilling one down for 4-6 days and trying it. I've been using all Grolsch and Belgian bottles, without any 12oz or 22oz that use caps. I will say that you should have the proper head-space under the cap/cork... That could make the brew not carbonate properly...

Of course, there are plenty of people who have posted about giving higher ABV brews more time to carbonate... So without knowing what you've bottled, it's rather difficult to say... It would also be nice to know how much priming sugar you used, and what temp the brew fermented at, or at least it's temp when you bottled it up...

I always bottle my batches into 2 cases of 22oz bombers and then end up with a little left over that goes into a couple of 12oz bottles. In my experience, the 22oz bottles usually take longer to carb. Sometimes 1 to 2 weeks longer (4 to 5 weeks total bottle conditioning time).

Slightly off topic, but I've also found that since I've been doing long primaries (4 to 5 weeks), my beers take longer to carb than the first couple of batches I bottled after around 2 weeks. I assume it is due to less yeast in suspension. But all of this waiting, (even the extra carb time) makes the beers much tastier in the end. Patience is tough, but definitely worth it.

A larger volume sized bottle usually needs more time to carb AND condition. I have some pints, 22 oz bombers and other sizes that I often use, but since I enter contests I usually also do a sixer or two of standard 12 ouncers for entering. And inevitably the 12 ouncers are done at least a week faster than the larger bottles....some times two weeks ahead of time...

Also the rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees for a normal grav 12 ounce bottle....to carb and condition....It takes longer for the yeasties to convert the larger volume in the bigger bottles to enough co2 in the headspace to be reabsorbed back into the solution...A ration I don't know how much...

Big Kahuna gives a good explanation here...
Simple. It's the ration of contact area just like in a keg. The c02 will need to pressurize the head space (Which takes LESS TIME) in a bigger bottle (More Yeast and sugar, roughly the same head space) but then it has to force that c02 into solution through the same contact area...thus it takes longer.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

My 1st batch (avatar pic) was in primary only 12 days before bottling in the 740ml PET bottles from my Cooper's micro brew kit. This batch will be in primary for 4 weeks (4th week dry hop). It'll be bottled Sunday,but It looks like I better let those 11.2-12oz bottles sit for 4,maybe 5 weeks to carb up. It took 3 weeks to go down to FG,even with the starter I made.
But the flavor should outta this world! So,the longer in primary,the bigger the bottle,the more time to carb.

It shouldnt really take any longer in theory. I mean a 12 oz bottle is going to have the exact same percentage of priming sugar as in a 22oz bottle. It may be a different weight amount but it is all relative.

It shouldnt really take any longer in theory. I mean a 12 oz bottle is going to have the exact same percentage of priming sugar as in a 22oz bottle. It may be a different weight amount but it is all relative.

If you're priming in a bottling bucket or the like,yes,I concur. But with the sucrose pills in the bottle,it seems like it's a little different.?...

If you're priming in a bottling bucket or the like,yes,I concur. But with the sucrose pills in the bottle,it seems like it's a little different.?...

It doesn't matter whether it's bulk primed or not...Theories are great, but like I said, I do it all the time, and it always takes the larger bottles longer than the 12 ouncers. Like I said kahuna explains it, and there's hundreds of threads where people are having that experience, of the larger taking longer and asking then asking about it.....

Theories are great....
Well here's one to support the 22oz taking longer.

When trying to convince people to not carbonate in growlers, you have talked about the CO2 pressure building up in the headspace and then being absorbed into the liquid. There's the same amount of surface area and volume in the neck of a 22 or 12 ounce bottle. Wouldn't the greater ratio beer to surface area make the CO2 absorb slower in the larger bottle?

edit:
Should of read the whole thread first.
Now I see your BigKahuna quote.:eek:

Great thoughts guys. Thanks. The waiting is killing me! I bottled them at 70 degrees and it will be 2 weeks on monday. I already brewed and transfered to secondary fermentation my second batch of irish stout.... it smells soo damn good! I tried some of the beer after it sat for about 5 days just to taste how green beers taste and it still tasted amazing... flat but amazing! ill let you huys know how they turn out. Thanks for all the help and theories.

I know this has been covered before multiple times, but I can't resist...

CO2 does not "go into" the headspace and then "back into" the beer. The partial pressures of the CO2 in the beer and in the headspace are always in equilibrium. As the yeast create CO2 the pressure in the bottle increases, at that higher pressure you can have more CO2 in solution.

My guess is that what is happening is that it takes longer to create a sufficient volume of CO2 to carbonate the larger volume of beer.

CO2 does not "go into" the headspace and then "back into" the beer. The partial pressures of the CO2 in the beer and in the headspace are always in equilibrium.
Didn't I read a Revvy post about a guy who put gauges on fermenting bottles and did in fact prove that the pressure in head space did increase before the system equalized. It does seem possible that when the CO2 is initially formed that it would not go immediately into solution, but instead into the head space until it could be absorbed into the fluid.

Didn't I read a Revvy post about a guy who put gauges on fermenting bottles and did in fact prove that the pressure in head space did increase before the system equalized. It does seem possible that when the CO2 is initially formed that it would not go immediately into solution, but instead into the head space until it could be absorbed into the fluid.

I was just thinking that it may need to pressurize the head space before it's able to go into solution. Then it may reach equilibrium.?

The CO2 goes into the headspace first, no matter what size bottle you use. Once it hits a certain point, it is absorbed into the brew (put into solution)...

Personally, I would just chill one down after 3 weeks, for 4-7 days, then see where it's at. If it's carbonated fully, then you can put more in for drinking. If not, put another in to try in another 4-7 days.

Once you do enough batches, in bottles, you'll figure out how long each size will take for your brews... What works for one brewer, even with the same bottle size, might not for another...

It seems far more plausible to me that the yeast release CO2 directly into solution in the beer, and the waiting period is just the 3-4 weeks it takes to generate a sufficient volume of CO2 to carbonate the beer.

I have a very difficult time imagining a mechanism by which yeast could release CO2 and have it not be in solution. There would be minor gas exchange at the surface, the flow being from beer to headspace, to maintain equilibrium of the partial pressures.

Why would you think that the CO2 needs to come out of the beer only so it can take 3 weeks to go back in?

That being said, it might be nice to have someone actually post some real evidence, instead of listening to people like me who barely remember their college chem lectures.

I'm kegging mostly now, but when I bottle I always do a single 2L Growler along with mostly 12oz bottles and a single 22oz. The 22 is for my brother in CA so I never drink it, but I find the the growlers seem to condition and carbonate faster than a 12oz does.

I propose an experiment. I need a beer to do it on though... Maybe my IPA? It needs something done to it.

Deepest respect and appreciation for Revvy and AnOldUR. I was ready to disagreee with some of their information on this post (I should Know better), but their explanations about exposed surface area make absolute sense. Many books/instructions suggest 2 weeks for bottle carbing, and carbonation can be accomplished in this time, but Revvy's 3 weeks minimum has definitely resulted in more pleasurable consumption. Thank you sincerely!:)

Come to think of it, I haven't noticed too much of a difference going from 12oz bottles to 1.5 gal TaD bottles.

On my first batch I filled numerous 22oz bombers. The last one I bottled didn't fill up all the way because I ran out of beer. It reached to just below the neck leaving more surface area and a lot more head space. I drank it after 3 weeks and it actually had more carbonation than the ones filled all the way up. That surprised me and lends credence to the surface area theory.

It's been my observation that usually a beer takes as long to bottle condition as it does to ferment. So if you're doing a huge 12% belgian thingamabob that takes 2 months to get done, it'll take at least that long in the bottle to mature.

It's been my observation that usually a beer takes as long to bottle condition as it does to ferment. So if you're doing a huge 12% belgian thingamabob that takes 2 months to get done, it'll take at least that long in the bottle to mature.

You know, that actually makes some sense... Sortof... I'll know better tomorrow when I open up my old ale that's been chilling down for the past few days. It was on the yeast for a month, but was done fermenting before then. It was at 70F +/- for 3 weeks before I put a couple into the fridge (that was on Monday night)... Got three bottles in there now, with one being added last night. If it goes over well tomorrow, or at least I like it, I'll keep at least one in the fridge at all times.

I need a bigger fridge... Or another for brew to cool in. :rockin: Next place... Next place...

I need another fridge (or 2 as well). the more space i get the more beer I seem to have to fill it up.

not complaining, just observing.

ok it has been 20 days and i tried a 12oz bottles of my american pale ale and it was not very carbonated. i out it in the fridge for a few hours and tried it. Should i of left it in the fridge for more days? I am hoping if i let it sit for more weeks it will carb up. I havnt tried any of the 22 oz bottles i bottled. Let me know what you guys think. And thanx again for helping me out....

Hoss, leave it in the fridge for 3-5 (or more) days before you pop one open... A few hours isn't nearly long enough. I've found mine to be really good after 4-5 days. Longer and the trub will compact nice and tight on the bottom and you'll get a really clear pour into the glass. :rockin:

Thanks.... I suck at the patiance part! i just want to drink!:tank:

Hoss, leave it in the fridge for 3-5 (or more) days before you pop one open... A few hours isn't nearly long enough. I've found mine to be really good after 4-5 days. Longer and the trub will compact nice and tight on the bottom and you'll get a really clear pour into the glass. :rockin:

leave it in the fridge for 3-5 (or more) days before you pop one open... A few hours isn't nearly long enough.

His beer should not be that flat after 3 weeks in the bottle simply cause he didn't refrigerate it long enough. I know about the CO2 absorption into the liquid and all that but I've take plenty of beers and threw them in the freezer for 1 hour and popped them open and drank with perfect carbonation. Of course the refrigerating will help, but if he's expecting a higher degree of carbonation I think he might find something else was the issue.

Rev.

ok it has been 20 days and i tried a 12oz bottles of my american pale ale and it was not very carbonated..

Then you don't do anything but come back in another week and try again. If your beer's not ready by x week, and you added your priming sugar and did everything right, then the beer will be ready when it's ready. Like someone above said, higher gravs often take longer, if the beer is slightly below 70, it takes longer.

I've had big beers take 6 months to carb, I've had stouts and porters take 6-8 weeks. Its a natural process, and if you've added sugar and capped the bottles then they will fill with co2 and they will get carbed.

I know you're impatient but just because it's not ready, when you want it to be doesn't mean there's anything wrong. The three weeks we mention is usually the minimum it takes, but if it takes longer, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong.

Cooler temperature liquid will allow gas to dissolve quicker. I can't think of a beer I make that takes 3 weeks or longer to condition, no matter 12oz versus 22oz bottle. I cold condition all beers for 2 weeks and serve.

Back