I want to come back to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soybomb

Reaction score
A couple years ago I found out I had celiac disease and had to give up brewing and bread making. I considered researching gluten free brewing then but was just too beat down by the news and sold off my kegerator, all grain setup, oxygen, refractometer, coolers, etc. The only thing I kept were my buckets/carboys and some bottles so I could make a cider now and then. Some of you might even use my website http://brewheads.com I quit working on it about that time too.

I've made do with cocktails for a few years and sometimes bought a pack or two of GF beer now and then. Green's has a couple decent ones although they're ridiculously expensive. New grist is ok, although still pricey and a bit bland. Red bridge is actually the best of them to me although it makes me sick sometimes and I suspect contamination issues. I was poking around today and found that now even NB sells sorghum syrup. Maybe its time I give it a whirl again.

So what can you guys tell me? I only made 2 batches of extract beer before I decided I had to go all grain or I'd quit. Can you make decent extract gf beers? Any grains to toast or steep to help? Better yet any recipes? All these gf beers are so bland! I'd kill for a ipa or a stout.

So what should I know? Any advice? Perhaps most importantly, has anyone found that they get a reaction from any brand of sorghum syrup? If its harvested/stored on the same equipment as other grain, it could easily become contaminated. A tested source would be incredible. Thanks all! :D

I briefly looked into making a GF beer once... trying to impress a girl... I'd say try it out and see. I don't really remember what I found out about the whole process. You could totally add some adjunct grains like quinoa to give it some complexity.

You should just play around with it and see what you come up with!

I started making some with extract a few months ago. I think it can be done. First batch was a pale ale at 88 IBU. Not bad, definitely better then what can be bought. Using a an ounce of Zeus for bittering and had a really slow starter (Nottingham yeast from the recall). Tried hiding the sorghum aftertaste with more hops and went a little too far. Second batch was a Belgian Pale Ale that is rounding in to shape and becoming a very tasty beer after 6 weeks in the bottle. Made that with the candi syrup. Batches 3 and 4 were not so great, yeast problems again. Tried an ESB and another Pale Ale. Have hope that in 2 months the ESB will be good. Fifth batch is in the fermenter, switched to Fermentis and saw better results. Trying a partial mash with Bob's GF oats and the sorghum. We'll see how that one goes.

Back