Oatmeal Stout - Too Much Malt??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdsearcher

Reaction score
Hello All!

Modifying a recipe i found on the web, is this too much malt??:

Oatmeal Stout

• 1 (3 1/3 lb) can Coopers Stout
• 1 (3 1/3 lb) can Coopers dark malt extract syrup
• 3 lb Munton's Plain Dark malt extract (dried)
• 1 lb oatmeal
• 2 cups dark brown sugar
• 12 oz molasses
• 5 gallons water
• 1 packet yeast

Should I leave out the can of dark malt extract?

(stupid me, I am in the middle of making this up and am doubting my original intensions of using all the malt has I had planned. I have steeped the oatmeal and added the brown sugar, molasses & Munton's malt, I have yet to add the Coopers cans )

Thanks! - Peter D.T.

Since you're already in the middle, I would only add one of the coopers cans (use the dark one). I'm not sure if those are supposed to be boiled though so you might want to add it right at the end. Hopefully someone with experience with the Cooper's kits will chime in.

Generally to do an oatmeal stout you need to mash the oats.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/quick-help-needed-ag-extract-conversion-oats-95598/

As for the amount of malt, well it all depends on how high a gravity you want. I'd leave out the brown sugar, no use trying to lighten the body with sugar when you are adding oatmeal to make it more full bodied, you'll get a lot of flavor from the molasses, may want to cut it down some.

is this a five gallon batch? With 3 lbs of dried extract and 2 lbs of and the oatmeal your gravity will be 1.062. This does not take into account brown sugar and molasses.

is this a five gallon batch? With 3 lbs of dried extract and 2 lbs of and the oatmeal your gravity will be 1.062. This does not take into account brown sugar and molasses.
The oatmeal won't add any fermentables in this instance so it won't be quite as bad, though with all the sugar it will still be up there.

Thanks for the input fellas!

I went ahead and added it all :).

The only way to learn is to try!

Cheers,
Peter D.T.

Back