Naming help time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonecynic

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need help coming up with a name for a brew, only I'm being a bit particular... I give all my (successful - i.e. have brewed a few times) beers actual names of, well, beer-related people, and in alphabetical order. So, now I need a name of someone beer-related beginning with C. Haven't had many suggestions from housemates/mates so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Sorry for the ramble! Just fill in the blanks:

My next brew is called C_____!

Charlie Papazian?

I don't know exaclty what you are looking for, but if you aren't familiar, he wrote "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and founded the American Homebrewer's Association. I would say he is a pretty significant figure in homebrewing.

Yeah I thought of that just after I hit post... as for what I'm after, well my first one is Ægir after the Norse god of (the sea and) beer, and the sixth is to be Franklin (after FDR for ending prohibition) I was thinking about Carter, for Jimmy for legalising brewing, but I didn't really want two presidents as I'm not even American!

Charlie sounds better than any other suggestion I've heard, I'd quite like something historical though.

Capone, Al Capone. Famous for Speak Easy's (and other things) during Prohibition. That's the best I could come up with.

Cheers guys, it's gonna be Capone, that's exactly the sorta thing I was shooting for! It's a British Pale by the way, with Fuggles and Goldings, that came out tasting quite like Young's last time I made it, and good enough to earn a name (I'm rubbish at naming things, as you might guess, so I don't like to waste good names on bad brews!)
Thanks again for all you suggestions, I may be back again soon for more help!

Not really beer related, but let's see...York, UK...if my memory of history serves me here a little Itallian guy named Caesar took a vacation to your isle a while back...

How about "Caesar's Conquest" or "Caesar's Campaign" has a ring to it. :mug:

Yeah, there were some Italians here a little while back. In fact, a blokey who called himself Constantine was here fighting some barbarians (i.e. locals) when, apparently, he had a dream in which he was told that if his army painted crucifixes on his shields, they would win the battle. They did, and they did (so we're told) and he promptly converted to Christianity (and in doing so, converted the entire empire). Or so we're told. Locally. I'm sure there are thirty thousand claimants to his conversion though! And Wikipedia, for what it's worth, doesn't mention this battle at York as being his turning point in the article about him.
Anyway, the local brewery already has a brew called Constantine, and damn nice it is too!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I feel Capone is more booze-related (the Romans preferred wine and thought of beer as a drink for the prols.... hmmm wait, that's still true here!)

That's pretty cool, if I ever get around to 2C, I'll bear it in mind! Unfortunately, my first RIS didn't work very well (was my second extract brew, and was meant to be a form of chocolate stout. Shabbily, the chocolate aftertaste was overwhelming) and so I don't get to call my beer Boris :(

Yeah, there were some Italians here a little while back. In fact, a blokey who called himself Constantine was here fighting some barbarians (i.e. locals) when, apparently, he had a dream in which he was told that if his army painted crucifixes on his shields, they would win the battle. They did, and they did (so we're told) and he promptly converted to Christianity (and in doing so, converted the entire empire). Or so we're told. Locally. I'm sure there are thirty thousand claimants to his conversion though! And Wikipedia, for what it's worth, doesn't mention this battle at York as being his turning point in the article about him.
Anyway, the local brewery already has a brew called Constantine, and damn nice it is too!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I feel Capone is more booze-related (the Romans preferred wine and thought of beer as a drink for the prols.... hmmm wait, that's still true here!)
You know history has many versions...not necessarily any of them true, but the way I remember it is he didn't convert personally until just before he died. ;)

Too bad I didn't think of Constantine over Caesar...I always think of Constantinoble and since I have Greek (who are dark headed used to be blonds before intermarrying with the Turks) and Turk friends...I always lean toward the Turk side even though he was pre-Byzantium...the brain's kind of fried sometimes...:drunk: I visited a couple of Byzantium fortress ruins in Greece once...:rockin:

How about the Dalton Gang or Dillinger for the Ds?

Are you thinking Ned Kelly for Ns? From wiki: In 1869, the 14-year-old Ned Kelly was arrested for assaulting a Chinese pig farmer named Ah Fook.[8] Ah Fook claimed that he had been robbed by Ned, who stated that Ah Fook had a row with his sister Annie. Kelly spent ten days in custody before the charges were dismissed. From then on the police regarded him as a "juvenile bushranger".

"Ned's Ah Fook's Pig" sounds too dirty so it's cool...HAHAA!! or Ned Kelly's "Bushranger" ?

Not exactly Yorkshire, but the Carvetii were the Britons who lived in Cumbria and North Lancs. ca. 10AD. Scholars think their capital was Luguvalium, er, I mean Carlisle.

:D

D could be named for the Durotriges, who inhabited a wide range, from Dorset to Somerset and Wiltshire.

Too bad you missed 'Bouddica' for B!

Bob

Haven't exactly missed B, it just turned out pants! It may well be that I try it again at some point in the future and try and balance it out a bit. So Bouddica it will probably be. Not sure about calling D Dillinger, I don't want it to escape!

Back