American IPA Taking Off When You Landing - Citra/Columbus/Mosaic/Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Drink First, Ask Questions Later
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days / 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
No
Additional Fermentation
No
Tasting Notes
Tropical fruit bomb. Big pine aroma.
6fb06b290d2ba76586bc557f7c6820d4_640x640.jpg

Title: Taking Off When You Landing

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 94% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (alternate): 6.09%
IBU (tinseth): 70.54
SRM (morey): 5.18

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (100%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 15.82
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 15.29
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 21.02
2 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 18.41
4.6 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 185 F, Time: 20 min, Amount: 5.5 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.33 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
This beer has a big floral aroma and finished crisp. The single-malt backbone works well with this assortment of late hop additions. The aroma is incredibly piney with the big Columbus dry-hop.

I like the unique idea of haveing nothign before 10min and a massive dry hop. Really you could play around with the hops to get it more piney or citrusy. Personally, I'd see what a giant Mosaic dry hop would do. Did you hopstand it too?

But why 4.6oz Columbus? Seems kinda random, was that just getting rid of some leftover?

I like the unique idea of haveing nothign before 10min and a massive dry hop. Really you could play around with the hops to get it more piney or citrusy. Personally, I'd see what a giant Mosaic dry hop would do. Did you hopstand it too?

But why 4.6oz Columbus? Seems kinda random, was that just getting rid of some leftover?

Most of my IPAs don't have hop additions very early-on. I sometimes bitter with a high-alpha hop (Columbus usually or Citra) but if I want to flavor with those types of hop varieties, I do and it gives me the bitterness I need even if I add massive amounts late in the boil.

I've dry-hopped with 3-4 ounces of Mosaic in one of my Saisons and it's in-your-face. I love it. It's one of my favorite hop varieties to use for a dry-hop.

And, yes, the 4.6 was what I had left of the Columbus.

Sorry, i am a rookie. But, what is the reasoning behind not doing early hop additions? it seems like you have no issue netting IBUs.

I plan to use wyeast smack packs, 1056 will work, correct?

I think i am going to try brewing this recipe this weekend. will probably add some grapefruit in primary and make it more 'summer-y'. :mug:

Sorry, i am a rookie. But, what is the reasoning behind not doing early hop additions? it seems like you have no issue netting IBUs.

Early additions get you IBU's but no hop taste or aroma.

Almost all my IPA's have only 20, 10, 5 and Flameout additions.

Takes more hops per batch but you get a smoother bitterness and LOADS of hop flavors.

Thank you for the info, besk.

How long would you ferment this for? I saw nothing in the recipe. Brewed this yesterday.

Thank you for the info, besk.

How long would you ferment this for? I saw nothing in the recipe. Brewed this yesterday.

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days / 65F
Additional Fermentation: No
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): No

Aw, I must have missed it. Thank you!

When dry hopping, do you use a bag or just toss right in? I've heard it done both ways, but i am curious.

Aw, I must have missed it. Thank you!

When dry hopping, do you use a bag or just toss right in? I've heard it done both ways, but i am curious.

Toss them right in, usually. Either way will work.

Yesterday was a big day for me. Cracked my first ipa on ipa day. Two days short of two weeks in the bottle and it's already carb'd (going to give the rest another week). Very excited to taste my progression.

Thank you again for this recipe. I am bottling your sweatpants boner this Sunday as well. I racked a gallon over peaches before dry hopping.

19750051944_46ff5d550f_k.jpg

hey remmy,
recipe looks great! i've been trying to find a piney, floral IPA recipe for awhile.
i haven't gotten into all grain yet, so what would be a suitable extract substitute for the 9 pounds of maris otter?
would any steeping grains be needed?
thanks for the help!

I brewed yesterday still trying to work on my efficiency second all grain batch. First one pretty much hit my expected gravity. I undershot it and got 1.044 for this one. If it gets down to 1.001 or 1.000 I'd be happy with a 5% IPA lol. So far the smell I'm getting from the fermentation is amazing!!! Loving the hop smells coming out already! I'm going to up the hops a little and just use a full 5 oz instead of 4.6 oz

hey remmy,
recipe looks great! i've been trying to find a piney, floral IPA recipe for awhile.
i haven't gotten into all grain yet, so what would be a suitable extract substitute for the 9 pounds of maris otter?
would any steeping grains be needed?
thanks for the help!

I'll make an attempt to convert and post the details.

I brewed yesterday still trying to work on my efficiency second all grain batch. First one pretty much hit my expected gravity. I undershot it and got 1.044 for this one. If it gets down to 1.001 or 1.000 I'd be happy with a 5% IPA lol. So far the smell I'm getting from the fermentation is amazing!!! Loving the hop smells coming out already! I'm going to up the hops a little and just use a full 5 oz instead of 4.6 oz

Right on. I used 4.6 because that's all I had left. Awesome.

After having a couple of pints of a Columbus/Mosaic/Citra APA in a pub in Belfast, N Ireland i found your recipe and it looked great.

Its now almost ready to drink and already tastes amazing. I was concerned about no early hops in boil, but it is perfectly bitter and has an incredible hop profile, pine, floral and a big citrus punch.

Great APA recipe and one I'll be doing again.

Good Work!

:mug:

Latest posts

Back