Falconer's Flight IPA Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
Malt & Fermentables

% LB OZ °L PPG
92% 12 0 Rahr 2-row Pale Mash 2° 36
4% 0 8 Belgian Carapils Mash 13° 34
4% 0 8 Briess Caramel 40L Mash 40° 34

Specific Gravity
1.067 OG
(1.060 to 1.070)
16.4° Plato
1.017 FG
(1.015 to 1.018)
4.3° Plato
Color
7° SRM
14° EBC
Gold to Copper
Mash Efficiency
75 %
Mash Temp

Hops

Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
boil 60 min 0.750 German Magnum ~ pellet 12.5 » 27.2
boil 20 min 0.500 Falconer's Flight ~ pellet 10.5 » 9.2
boil 10 min 0.750 Falconer's Flight ~ pellet 10.5 » 8.3
boil 5 min 1.250 Falconer's Flight ~ pellet 10.5 » 7.6
boil 1 min 1.500 Falconer's Flight ~ pellet 10.5 » 2.0
dh 7 day 1 Falconer's Flight ~ pellet 10.5 » 0

Seems like you could goose the IBUs a bit with a bit more magnum at 60 (maybe the full ounce?)

Otherwise looks good -- That Falconer's will give you a great aroma!

looks great to me, only tweak i'd suggest: i'd dry-hop with 2 oz but then again i like a big fat hop aroma. i'd move your 20 min addition to the dry-hop, and bump up the 60 mins to compensate the IBUs (and as kmos proposed, maybe even increase the IBUs a tad)

Thanks guys. Good call on the extra oz of dry hop. As for the 60 Minute edition... Just trying to avoid that super long lasting "hop exhaust" after taste.

Thanks guys. Good call on the extra oz of dry hop. As for the 60 Minute edition... Just trying to avoid that super long lasting "hop exhaust" after taste.

In that case, you could keep the 0.75 at 60, leave the 20 where it is and add a 15 addition to get another 8 or 9 IBUs. The latter additions should give you a softer bitterness and will boost that C hop flavor as well.

Cheers! Let us know how it turns out.

Yes, dry hop.

Could add half an ounce FWH. Dial it in as a 30 minute addition in your software. That should give you some extra complexity and 10+ additional IBUs.

I've got a pound in the mail and plan on something similar. Probably use Columbus for bittering.

Could add half an ounce FWH. Dial it in as a 30 minute addition in your software. That should give you some extra complexity and 10+ additional IBUs.

Good suggestion, something I didn't consider. Would you FWH the Magnum or the FF? Thanks!

I have an IPA dry hoped with Falconer's Flight. Try dry hopping it twice, once in primary and the second before you cold crash it or keg it. You'll get tons more aroma if you hit it twice. Think about a 90 min boil time too, you get more bitering from the hops, and if your afraid of too much caramelizing flavor do a light body mash profile. Irregardless, the Falconer's hop is a blend you'll LOVE and keep going back to :)

I never realized that Widmer Bros brew a Rotator Series Falconer's Flight IPA that's very similar!

BITTERNESS 65 IBU
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME 7.0%
ORIGINAL GRAVITY 1.061
FINAL GRAVITY 1.008
MALTS 2-ROW PALE, CARAMEL 40L, HONEY MALT
HOPS BITTERING - ALCHEMY, AROMA - FALCONER'S FLIGHT
AVAILABILITY - SEPTEMBER - OCTOBER

Drinking this now, it definitely has a big malt backbone. It more than likely sweetened up in the last couple of months since it's the end of December. Wow this is sweet. A bit much for me. Not much hop character in the aroma. A nice IPA none the less. I haven't brewed my recpie yet, but I hope it's drier.

I just made a 2.5 gallon quasi-AB clone in which I dry hopped with an ounce of FF- can't wait for it to carb....the smell is unreal!

What yeast are you using? If you're concerned that your beer will come out too sweet, similar to the one you speak of, use a yeast with high attenuation. Less residual sweetness left behind. Stuff like Wyeast 1056, White Labs WLP001 should do the job. Accentuate the hop character.

I ended up using US-05. Beer actually attenuated too much... Down to 1.007. First beer to get sub 10s. I believe it was because I raised the temp slowly from 65 to 69.

Putting this beer on the gas this weekend.

Nothing wrong with ending up with a stronger brew. The IPA I brewed in the end of December had an OG 1.064 and got down to 1.008. That was with WLP001. Took a taste sample when I bottled on Tuesday and it was delicious. Hopefully yours turns out great too.

1.067 to 1.007 - 90% attenuation!!! that's kinda crazy for us-05. raising from 65 to 69 would have helped attenuation, but i don't think it would have that much of an effect. any chance that you ended up mashing lower than your projected 152*F?

90% sounds awesome! But..... I forgot to update with actual original gravity. It came out to 1.052. At 1.007 it tastes good but a bit thin. Mashed at 153/152 for 60 min.

Latest posts

Back