The even cheaper cheap 5 gallon cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgravitybacon

Reaction score
So you no doubt have gazed upon the ultra cheap 5 and 10 gallon mash tun conversion for igloo type round coolers.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

The average cost for these items, cooler not included, runs somewhere in the area of $25. But, being a super cheap ass, I have found a way to make it even cheaper.

First you begin with a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler. I found mine from some Australian ex-pat who was selling them on Craigslist. I paid maybe $10 for it.

Next you must remove the spigot. It has a washer on the inside of it. Remove washer. Observe size of hole. It is just a hair under 3/4". Ah ha! I said. I have a spigot I got from labelpeelers. $2.21 for it.

The spigot fits into the hole left in the side of the cooler. If you ram it in there, twisting as you go, it will poke through the other side. In most other conversions, there is a ball valve recommended. This is the most expensive part. It's like $8 or $10. So now I just saved you $6.

Since the spigot has a male 3/4" attachment, I found a brass garden hose fitting in the plumbing section of Lowes. It has a standard garden hose on one side and 1/2" brass barb on the other. $4.50.

Now, find a 12" section of stainless braided supply line. Lead free. $5 for it.

I snipped both ends off, and pushed the tubing out. Take one end and slide it over the brass barb. Zip tie in place. Take the other frayed end and fold it over on itself. Zip tie.

Done.

Total cost, exclusive of cooler, about $12.

Parts list:
Braided supply line.
Hose Thingy
Spigot

2012-12-01 20.14.51.jpg

2012-12-01 20.15.09.jpg

2012-12-01 20.15.27.jpg

I have made version 1.1 now. It has the following accessories / modifications.

First, I drilled holes in the lid and injected expanding foam.
I removed the white rubbery washer on the inside of the cooler. You can see the one touching the brass fitting. That doesn't work. See that gap in the pictures? Yeah. So now I just screwed the brass down even tighter and it is almost flush with the wall.

Overall, the foam and related accessories have made it a slightly less crappy cheaper cheap coolertun. Checked the temp last night. 150.3F water in. 60 minutes later, 146.5F water out. Cooler was room temp prior to water addition. So fairly decent, but not outstanding, heat retention.

Latest posts

Back