Digital thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerpintine

Reaction score
Starting with my next batch I was gonna start using the cooler method. I wanted a decent thermometer to measure the temp of the water while also using the sticky thermometer to keep track of the primary's temperature. What I also wanted to do is use this thermometer when I steep grains. Does this from this thread seem like an ideal solution? Or is something else recommended? I would prefer to use a digital rather than a liquid for steeping...

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting with my next batch I was gonna start using the cooler method. I wanted a decent thermometer to measure the temp of the water while also using the sticky thermometer to keep track of the primary's temperature. What I also wanted to do is use this thermometer when I steep grains. Does this from this thread seem like an ideal solution? Or is something else recommended? I would prefer to use a digital rather than a liquid for steeping...

I use that one. Works great.

Yep, this one will do. I use something very similar. They tend to last for about 6-12 months, which is pretty good. What you want to do is to get a plastic cup and then drive a hole in it with the sharp end of this thermometer so the whole thing floats in the cooler, this way the thermometer will last longer.

I use that same Taylor thermometer. I also use an analog dial thermometer that clips onto a pot, usually for heating strike/sparge water. Both work very well.

I use a taylor instant read thermometer in all steps of my brewing and find it to be easy, quick and very accurate. I picked it up at target for about $11 and would never brew without it. I check my grain temp, water temp, mash temp, pitching temp. I trust it much more than my built in analog thermometer on my brew kettle. It is also much faster and easier to read. This is one important tool I believe every brewer should own. Knowing the exact temp is KEY!

thermapen for me. after reading about how many of the cheapo digitals failed and how inaacurate they were... decided to just buy the best.

I don't use a thermometer in the brew pot. I don't see any real need for it.

I have a permanent thermometer in my brew pot. When starting the boil I know to stay close at 205F or so to prevent boilovers. Until then I am free to do other chores without too much to worry about.

At flame out I start water through my immersion chiller and I watch for the the wort to get below 140F since at that point I can put the lid on the kettle without DMS fears and reduce the chance of other airborne contaminates getting in the kettle. At that point I'm free to do other things with the convenience of a quick glance at the thermometer to monitor chilling progress.

YMMV - I would miss it now if I didn't have one.

I've gone through at least 5 of the Taylor instant reads, and 2 of the CDC "calibratable" ones (the calibration seemed to fail too)

I'm currently running through this link and it seems to be holding.

I've gone through at least 5 of the Taylor instant reads, and 2 of the CDC "calibratable" ones (the calibration seemed to fail too)

I'm currently running through this link and it seems to be holding.

This is why I went with the Thermapen . Even my Cole Palmer K probe seems to have bitten the dust. I did have to replace the first Thermapen wasn't the thermos fault its not suppose to be flushed down the toilet...:drunk:

I fear using the Thermapen...I can see me snapping that thing off too easily.

Don't they make one that sits flat like the regular probe ones or are they all "dagger" designed?

Do you guys ever find yourselves smacking things into them?

I fear using the Thermapen...I can see me snapping that thing off too easily.

Don't they make one that sits flat like the regular probe ones or are they all "dagger" designed?

Do you guys ever find yourselves smacking things into them?

the unit is sturdy never crossed my mind I might snap off the probe. They do make a blunted one its not water resistant its the old style . They are clearing them out at 70$ . But it doesn't read in tenths of a degree

Smacking like what into them? I mean I don't run around with knives either . You take the reading fold it up

70$thermapen

I was actually going to use one sticking through a stopper in my MLT for the readings.

Might give it a go anyway...the only thing I might hit it with on the out side is me or maybe my grain bucket as I lower it...I am a very big klutz when it comes to things sticking out of stuff...Let's just say that I have a habit of getting doorknobs stuck in the pockets of my sweats at night when I go through a doorway.

It's kind of like having your own personal arresting wire and will wake you up if you were quickly walking out of the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I was actually going to use one sticking through a stopper in my MLT for the readings.

Might give it a go anyway...the only thing I might hit it with on the out side is me or maybe my grain bucket as I lower it...I am a very big klutz when it comes to things sticking out of stuff...Let's just say that I have a habit of getting doorknobs stuck in the pockets of my sweats at night when I go through a doorway.

It's kind of like having your own personal arresting wire and will wake you up if you were quickly walking out of the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I don't think a Thermapen would be the right choice as it turns itself off after a few minutes. So you have to close it and open it again to turn it on. I would lean towards this design
longstem

I don't think a Thermapen would be the right choice as it turns itself off after a few minutes. So you have to close it and open it again to turn it on. I would lean towards this design
longstem

there are some switches in the battery bay of the thermapen, which you can use to change the default setting of it automatically turning off. you can change it to stay on while open.

http://thermoworks.com/pdf/user_manuals/Thermapens/Thermapen_Splash_Proof_User_Manual.pdf

it is switch 3.

Back