2nd Lager-Munich Helles-Sulfur Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanielb1

Reaction score
Hey everybody!! I am new to this forum and new to brewing. I have brewed 7 extract batches of beer. I am on my 2nd lager...a Munich Helles. My first lager was and Australian Lager similar to a Fosters. The primary fermentation lasted for 2 weeks. The second week...my house was without power due to Hurricane Gustav. My 2nd lager...the munich helles is fermenting now. The airlock bubbles about every 5 seconds. My fridge and airlock has sulfur smell coming from it. From what I have read...this is normal. Is that correct? My dilemma...do I do a d-rest now or do I just leave it in the primary fermenter for another week. It has been fermenting since Sunday. Thanks ya'll!!

You can't judge by bubbles in airlock. I usually do my D-rests when the Krausen starts to fall... maybe 1/3 to 1/2 fallen. What you're shooting for is to do the D-rest when fermentation is nearing completion. 6-10 points from terminal gravity is good, but since this is difficult to accurately gauge, the 'Krausen falling' method works for me.

Let the D-rest finish out the fermentation (1-3 days usually), then slowly cool back down to primary temp (5°F per day), rack to secondary, slowly lower to lagering temps (again 5°F per day), and lager for your chosen lagering period (typical Helles would be 4-6 weeks).

Back