Fermenter glycol recirculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runhard

Reaction score
Long story short, I'm now the owner of an ancient piece of molecular biology equipment. It is a Perkin Elmer Cetus thermal cycler or PCR machine. What it might allow one to do, is use it as a glycol recirculation system. It was designed to circulate polyethylyne glycol through an aluminum plate and heat or cool the plate from 4°C to 94°C. It would be easy to disconnect the tubes from the plate and hook them to a copper coil for cooling a fermenter or something else.

In the picture you can see the compressor, pump, coils, Al plate, etc. In fact one could basically just keep the unit whole and re-route the plumbing for the glycol. It might work. Any takers for this free thingamagig?
thermal cycler2.jpg

Wow, nice find there! I'm sure it'll find a good home. Why are you getting rid of it, though?

RadicalEd said:
Wow, nice find there! I'm sure it'll find a good home. Why are you getting rid of it, though?

Well, the reason I'm getting rid of it is because I don't really have a need or have a use for it at this time; I don't have a fermenter that would lend itself to immersion coils for the recirculating temperature control. I have an old freezer with a temp. controller that I use for fermenting or lagering so I just thought that I'd give this to someone who might want to find a use for it. I reckon that someone around Central Texas might want it at some point so I'll just box it up and store it.

Jeffrey

Back