First IPA - no carbonation in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenN

Reaction score
Hi all -

This is my first post regarding my first home brew.

I bought an IPA kit from The Range after reading pretty good reviews about it. The fermentation stage went well and after a couple of weeks I switched it to a plastic keg I ordered from Wilkinson. After a few weeks in the keg I gave it a try and it was clear it was a few weeks off yet (still very bitter) and flat. I was concerned that the keg might not be great at holding pressure. I understand I can buy a CO2 injector from Wilkinson for £20 to add carbonation. Anyone know if there's a cheaper injector available? I have seen this on eBay and it includes 2 bulbs too. But not sure if it will fit.

In the future I'll probably invest in a better keg. Any recommendations?

Cheers in advance.

Ben

it sounds like your plastic keg is just a carboy. the only way to carbonate your beer is bottle w/ priming sugar or put it into a metal keg under pressure with a CO2 tank. I'd take a look at the wiki or watch a few videos on youtube to understand the process a little better!

As far as the bitterness.. it's an IPA!

Are you in the UK? Are you talking about a UK pressure barrel keg/fermenter combo unit?

Like these?

king_keg_bottom_tap_system_rev1.png

-63402206954350870.jpg

If that is the case, unfortunately this is an American forum, and pressure barrels are NOT that common to us. You may have better luck asking questions about working with them on either the English or Australian homebrewing forums. Very few if any of us even know what these things are. I know what they are because I've googled info when folks have come on here. But I have no answers to specific questions.

I don't want to chase you away , but I would post questions about pressure barrels on the Brewuk forums. We can help you with just about everything else about brewing. But specific pressure barrel info is pretty scarce on here.

However in terms of priming a pressure barrel, I would advise you to read this article, it's for priming uk pressure barrel fermenters.

Back