Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After telling a friend about different beer styles: "but budweiser is the king of beers, so it won a ton of awards!" ...i told him i urinate higher quality

Just had a good one. Went into a local sports bar and grill for lunch, saw they have a local beer special on the menu. My wife asked what the local special was, and the waiter told us it was Batch 19.

We're in connecticut.

Funny how you're nitpicking the menu and everyone got the restaurant name wrong :). I take it that's in Michigan, where at?

Not so much about beer just dumb question. I bartend and have had more then one person stand in front of the tap and ask you guys have draft beer :/

At a local brewpub where we do a beer panel every two weeks sampling various styles of a theme (this week was great american beers including SNPA, Anchor Liberty, Shiner Bock, etc), about the Liberty to me: It's dry hopped so it has that *squints eyes, makes smacking sounds with mouth* dry thing at the end.

His wife always comes with him and she obviously doesn't like beer, made a squinty face at every one and dumped the rest in her husbands glass, I don't know why they come.

It's dry hopped so it has that *squints eyes, makes smacking sounds with mouth* dry thing at the end.
I am defiantly not the best at putting my thoughts int o spoken words. This sounds like something I would say. Does not mean I do not enjoy trying other beers and hearing others opinions..Just using "correct" terms is something I have a harder time doing. As for the wife... your guess is as good as mine as why she is there.

It's dry hopped so it has that *squints eyes, makes smacking sounds with mouth* dry thing at the end.

I don't like hop bitterness; hop flavor is tolerable; and hop aroma is fine. For me, that "dry thing at the end" comes from bittering at the beginning of the boil, not from dry hopping. Seems to me that statement comes from lack of knowledge about brewing, not lack of communication skill. But I don't like hops, so I could be wrong.

I love watching non-beer drinkers pretend to like beer and sound knowledgeable about it... always a laugh! Even more so for the wine crowd.

He kept talking after that, he thought dry hopping = dry finish, another guy straightened him out after about 20 minutes but I think he still thought he was right.

I recently took some co-workers several lagers I brewed, one of which was a Czech Amber session lager about the color of Shiner Bock. 3.4% alcohol and 100 calories.

One told me how thick and alcoholic that beer was and how she got a buzz after just a few sips. I explained that it had less alcohol and the same calories as Miller Lite. I could see the blank look in her eyes as I explained it.
That did not compute--she was unable to understand that a brown colored beer wasn't motor oil.

I recently took some co-workers several lagers I brewed, one of which was a Czech Amber session lager about the color of Shiner Bock. 3.4% alcohol and 100 calories.

One told me how thick and alcoholic that beer was and how she got a buzz after just a few sips. I explained that it had less alcohol and the same calories as Miller Lite. I could see the blank look in her eyes as I explained it.
That did not compute--she was unable to understand that a brown colored beer wasn't motor oil.

I love to watch the faces when I float the "heavy, dark, strong Stout over the clear, light APA most still don't believe that the APA is 3% higher.

Hey - if it floats, the dark beer is clearly lighter. I've been telling people Guinness is a light beer for years, just to see that confused look :cross:

On a recent work trip to Dodge City, Kansas I ordered a Batch 19 (don't judge, that was the "crafty-est" beer on the menu) and the waitress gave me a stern warning that it's "super dark and strong." She said most people don't like it because it's too dark.

I chuckled (got a glare from my coworker) and assured her I would be fine.

hoppz said:
american beer (non-craft etc.) is like makin love in a canoe,
its f#c%in close to water!

Monty Python used this joke in their show "Live at the Hollywood Bowl"! LMMFAO!!

was reading over something about canada's BMC making some fake, marketing ploy beers especially for certain cities.

519 Lager – Crafted exclusively for London, 519 is a wonderful combination of smooth taste and deep flavour. Its special blend of malts and generous addition of Saaz European hops, give it a beautiful colour, malty smoothness, rich pilsner taste and aroma.

613 Lager – This Ottawa-inspired beer celebrates a complex blend of flavours. Amber coloured with a creamy head, 613 has a mix of malted barley varieties and a combination of American and European hops, giving this Lager a full, smooth taste with a crisp finish.

"our special blend of malts, barley and hops result in a creamy rich taste with a crisp malty hoppy finish."

please just stop...

oh whoops and one more labatt gem

"COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
John Labatt Classic was introduced in 1983 as Canada’s only national domestic “premium beer”. It is Krausen-brewed (slow, low temperature with a secondary fermentation process) and has a longer cold-aging process. Classic uses all-malt and a unique blend of western-grown North American hops, providing a smooth, full flavour product with a true malt taste that is slightly sweet."

krausening = slow, low temperature and a secondary fermentation. why would you need a "secondary fermentation" if you are just injecting it with CO2 and bottling it?

"COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
John Labatt Classic was introduced in 1983 as Canada’s only national domestic “premium beer”. It is Krausen-brewed (slow, low temperature with a secondary fermentation process) and has a longer cold-aging process. Classic uses all-malt and a unique blend of western-grown North American hops, providing a smooth, full flavour product with a true malt taste that is slightly sweet."

krausening = slow, low temperature and a secondary fermentation. why would you need a "secondary fermentation" if you are just injecting it with CO2 and bottling it?

For that doubly fermented goodness. Just like Miller and their triple hopped innovation.

At a party near one of the BMC plants, I overheard a drunk BMC employee explaining that there were only three types of beer,
"Lagers, as in Bud, Pilsners as in Miller, and ales as in Sam Adams. Stouts are just stouts - not beer, same goes for IPA's."

"COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION

Some of the big breweries do use krausening to carbonate their beers, not sure if Labbatt's is/was one of them, but it has happened

I was once buying to 30 packs of budlight as requested by others, and not by choice. While standing in line to check out a man behind me informed me that I was holding "the best damn beer in the world." I was about 5 miles from the AB brewery and he was an employee. It took all I had not to insult him with a chuckle.

...It is Krausen-brewed (slow, low temperature with a secondary fermentation process) and has a longer cold-aging process...

krausening = slow, low temperature and a secondary fermentation...

Some of the big breweries do use krausening to carbonate their beers, not sure if Labbatt's is/was one of them, but it has happened
But it seems like the marketing department F'd up in their understanding of it and made a funny claim to sound flash when really they probably don't know anything about the actual process - and of corse who would ask a brewer to proof read their claims before they get printed :D
At a party near one of the BMC plants, I overheard a drunk BMC employee explaining that there were only three types of beer,
"Lagers, as in Bud, Pilsners as in Miller, and ales as in Sam Adams. Stouts are just stouts - not beer, same goes for IPA's."

Some peoples stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Stouts & IPA's not beer?!:smack:

I see it as even worst - India Pale Ales are not ales?

But it seems like the marketing department F'd up in their understanding of it and made a funny claim to sound flash when really they probably don't know anything about the actual process - and of corse who would ask a brewer to proof read their claims before they get printed :D

yeah, the key thing here is that "slow and low temperature fermentation" isn't krausening lol.

i follow some ancient brewering like old style perhaps krausening, but i guess they must have suctioned off the sediment somehow. can't imagine labatt doing it though

yeah, the key thing here is that "slow and low temperature fermentation" isn't krausening lol.

i follow some ancient brewering like old style perhaps krausening, but i guess they must have suctioned off the sediment somehow. can't imagine labatt doing it though

Carbonated beer can still be filtered, so that isn't an issue. Krausening and spundig were especially popular techniques due to their efficiency. With krausening you have the advantage of not having to use an outside CO2 source, which saves money. With spundig, you have the added advantage of being able to turn beers over quicker. Both processes are very practical and economical on the large scale

Back