krausening for taste not carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
I was thinking about making a belgian ale and because I love the smell and taste of the wort so much, I was thinking about adding some back into the beer later, not for carbonation during bottling but to give it a sweet fresh taste. What do you guys think?

Don't know how much to use. I was thinking making a 6 gallon batch, retain half a gallon of it, fridge it, then introduce it after priming it. But I don't know about how the mixing would go since I wouldn't want to aerate it or loose the carbonation...?

I would think that the wort would ferment in the bottle and over prime your bottles and cause bottle bombs.
If you add unfermented wort in addition to priming sugar to the beer, the wort will ferment, or, am I missing something?

I was thinking of fridging it after I add the krausen... But I would probably loose a good bit of carbonation in the process.

That sounds good..

So basically just mix it in the glass with the beer, after all is said and done?

If you'd like a sweeter, fuller tasting "Belgian"... then perhaps mash at a little higher temp, cut down on the suagar, and use some Maris Otter to replace some of the Belgian Pils.... get to changing too many things and not really much of a Belgian left though.

Belgians get their character from the yeast for the most part...might want to try different Belgian yeasts to develop one you really enjoy. Then again I'm a purist when it comes to Belgians. Adding wort to a fermented Belgian would make for some fun fire works....

If you'd like a sweeter, fuller tasting "Belgian"... then perhaps mash at a little higher temp, cut down on the suagar, and use some Maris Otter to replace some of the Belgian Pils.... get to changing too many things and not really much of a Belgian left though.

Belgians get their character from the yeast for the most part...might want to try different Belgian yeasts to develop one you really enjoy. Then again I'm a purist when it comes to Belgians. Adding wort to a fermented Belgian would make for some fun fire works....

The only fireworks will be in my mouth after I cold condition it ;)

I'll try it for a little experiment, after it is done primed with dextrose and I introduce fresh wort back in I'll force carb it then fridge it.... Makes sense to me :cross:

Brew_4iT said:
The only fireworks will be in my mouth after I cold condition it ;)

I'll try it for a little experiment, after it is done primed with dextrose and I introduce fresh wort back in I'll force carb it then fridge it.... Makes sense to me :cross:

Fresh wort is going to give you new fermentation = Ka-boom! or over carbing.

Drink it immediately or it will all ferment back out.

You could pasteurize it to kill the yeast first. But I don't know what that would do for the yeasty flavor that's a hallmark of Belgian beers.

What happens to yeast once they are fridgerated?

Every thread I have read regarding this states that yeast are mainly inactive once fridgerated at temps around 35-38 deg F, is this not true?
Another thing I could do is prime it wait a couple weeks and most of the yeast should be dead I would presume right?

Back