hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
I want to do a recipe (nut brown ale) that calls for 1 oz of Willamette with 5.8% aa and a 3 gallon boil. The Willamette I’m buying has 3.9%aa and I’m going to do a 2.5 gallon boil. How do I adjust the hop addition to get the desired bitterness?

The first question is how long is each part of that 1 oz going to be in the boil? The 1 oz for 60 mins?

1 x 5.8 = 5.8 5.8/3.9 = 1.5 oz.

The difference in utilization for a 2.5 gallon batch and a 3 gallon batch is minor, so don't worry about it.

It is a 60 min boil for the only hop addition.

David 42, thanks for the advice. I tried to get the answer one way and was totally wrong and supected the way you showed me was the correct one
(AAU = %aa X oz).

Just curious as to how you would firgure the hop addition if the boil was significantly different, say a full 5 gal boil?

If your math skills are at all like mine you might want to think about investing in some brewing software; it's not that expensive (one of the cheaper things I bought for this "hobby") and it will do most of the calculations for you. I know ProMash also has a free evaluation version that is fully functional.

Last night I downloaded Beersmith and am very impresses with it in regard to how user friendly it is. I was curious on how to adjust hop additions for changing boil volumes. I entered my proposed recipe and immediately started navigating my way through it without any problem. This program is very intuitive. Within 15 min or so I had my recipe entered and I spent the rest of my time playing with ingredients and amounts to see how it affected the parameters of the beer.

I recipe I entered gave me an estimate OG of 1.045 and an IBU of ~15 (nut brown ale). The recipe gave an OG of 1.054 and IBU 18. I wouldn’t think that this would be a problem, would it?

I question the OG given in the recipe. It calls for Briess light LME which according to the Briess has an extract efficiency of 0.034 per lb per gal. I don’t believe that that extraxt can give an OG that high?

Latest posts

Back