Recarbonating PET bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anon8

Reaction score
Ok, i did a search but was unable to find a scenario similar to my own.

READERS DIGEST VERSION: Beer flat, how to recarbonate inside the bottle?

Full version:

Looking back i made the mistake up NOT stirring the beer after adding the priming sugar. What has likely happened is that the sugar settled to the bottom of the bucket, and most of the sugar did not make it into the bottles i was transferring to.

There is one or 2 bottles that show signs of positive carbonation, but the rest of pretty soft and have no fizz or head to them, not even a hint of lace. It has been 3 weeks at consistent room temp.

What i want to do is reprime with some dextrose and hope for the best..

but what is the best way to go about this? Do i just boil some sugar off and pour it in with a funnel? I'm a little worried about oxidation sure.. but as it is, the flat beer isn't terribly nice either.

+1 on the Carbonation drops... or you could get a "Carbonator" cap and give it a shot of CO2 from an injector.

I went to the store, found the coopers carbo drops for 8$!!!

$8!!! that's almost half the cost of what i paid for my beer kit.

I went ahead and reprimed using dextrose, and this morning it's already showing signs of good carbonation. Bottles are nice and firm, and plenty of bubbles with a light shaking.

I'm kinda curious about the carbonator cap tho, it'd be a nice thing to have if i wanted to speed something along for a tester bottle.

Back