SMaSH #1 2-row, EKG, s-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
So this will be my third AG batch and I am hooked, 4 brews in 2 weeks. Its seriously so cheap vs. extract that I cant believe it. And the product tastes oh so much better, cleaner I think is what I mean.

So tomorrows SMaSH

11# 2-row
1.25oz East Kent Goldings (60)

I am figuring at 65% efficiency so that puts
Og at 1.051
So if I get better Eff% It will just end maltier and thats ok because I am going for an easy drinking beer that I can taste for defects problems in my process.

So my questions are as follows

#1, I want to pitch this on a s-04 cake that will be going into keg tomorrow. The previous batch on this keg was an Irish stout.
If I make sure that I get all the previous beer out will the cake still carry the stout taste?
#2 Should I simply wash a cup or two of the yeast to make sure I get the stout out.
#3 Without a flavoring hop addition will this beer taste like anything since its just 2-row.:confused:

Dude, S04 is like $1.89. Personally, I don't trust my hombrewery's sanitation vs. Fermentis' to save two bucks.

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin. :p

Edit: #3: It will taste EXACTLY like 2-row and EKG. Therein lies the point.

Nah, don't do it.

If using a yeast cake then you go from small to big and light to dark. Not the other way round.
Use a fresh pack. You can make multiple additions of the EKG to cover Bittering, flavouring and aroma. I've never used plain 2 row but there's plenty of SMaSH brewers so some may of.

Back