Hop substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
My favorite recipe, a Vale Pale Ale, uses Centennial and Cascade hops, two varieties which seem to be very, very hard to come by.

What would be the best varieties to use instead and which would be more likely to be available?

make it a British PA, goldings, fuggles, maybe NB or target for bittering. try challenger for a single hop and use it for all additions. seem to be no problem with a shortage of imported hops.... yet. i have been trying to look at it as a chance to expand my hop horizons

I hear the Ahtanum is supposed to be a pretty cool hop! Maybe try a new version of the pale with this?

This is from wikipedia: "Ahtanum – An American aroma-type variety developed by Yakima Chief Ranches, similar to Cascade. (Alpha acid: 5.7–6.3% / beta acid: 5.0–6.5%)"

I also saw someone on the board call it, "similar to cascade crossed with amarillo or nugget" I think.

Either way, I think a APA hopped with only Ahtanum for all additions - bittering through aroma - might be worth a shot!

Back