Goodbye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Goodbye LHBS.

ForumRunner_20130511_093701.jpg

I ordered by first kit from them 5+ years ago... I don't think I ever ordered from them again. Nothing wrong with the product or service just used other mail order brew shops. I wonder if this going to be a trend with LHBS? Pretty hard to beat the deals offered by the larger brew shops (B3, AHS, Northern Brewer, etc.)

I wonder if this going to be a trend with LHBS? Pretty hard to beat the deals offered by the larger brew shops (B3, AHS, Northern Brewer, etc.)
I try to support my LHBS when I can. I figure that for most 1-batch purchases, the "free shipping" (me!) cancels out the marginally higher costs. Plus I get to browse, talk brewing, and support the local economy. Still, every time I'm there, I feel like they're only hanging on. It is a thin market.

frazier said:
I try to support my LHBS when I can. I figure that for most 1-batch purchases, the "free shipping" (me!) cancels out the marginally higher costs. Plus I get to browse, talk brewing, and support the local economy. Still, every time I'm there, I feel like they're only hanging on. It is a thin market.

I guess I have it better than most. I always hear about how online homebrew supply purchases are cheaper than local, but I haven't found that to be the case here. Certain things like bottles, kegs, CO2 tanks, and a few other pieces of equipment are cheaper at certain online stores, but as far as the things I buy most often, like ingredients, are cheaper at the LHBS that I go to. It would cost me quite a bit more to order from AHS than to just get it local. And at the same time I like supporting local business.

i guess I have it pretty good. I now have access to 3 local HBS. I have 1 across the street from work that I sometimes go at lunch. i have Morebeer across town, but they are usually jambed with customers on the weekend. And now a Hydrophonics store just down the street cleared a section of the store out and and is carrying everything for Homebrewing. They even opened a brew pub next door for those who want to use their equiptment.

My LHBS just expanded big time. Hope they don't go anywhere. My understanding is they now offer brewing classes in their larger digs.

Flag's just too small of a market (~65,000 people), in my opinion, without a significant mail order business. Especially at that location. Their rent can't be cheap.

Flag's just too small of a market (~65,000 people), in my opinion, without a significant mail order business. Especially at that location. Their rent can't be cheap.

I know man. It is too small. I got lucky though. My fiancee works across the street from one that opened a few months ago.

Once stores started popping up in Vegas, the Outpost lost a lot of its mailorder business.

when I lived in Vegas ('99-'01) there was only one shop. it was off Maryland Parkway right close to ***** Cat tattoos. it was also where SNAFU used to meet. I figured a bunch have opened there since then.

i guess I have it pretty good. I now have access to 3 local HBS. I have 1 across the street from work that I sometimes go at lunch. i have Morebeer across town, but they are usually jambed with customers on the weekend. And now a Hydrophonics store just down the street cleared a section of the store out and and is carrying everything for Homebrewing. They even opened a brew pub next door for those who want to use their equiptment.

lucky mann, lol:tank:

any body in so cal, feel free to stop on by so cal homebrew supply..... we dont want to end up in this boat

I'm lucky also. My LHBS is 5 mins away and great prices. I don't even look online

I am also one of the lucky ones; my LHBS is Hoptech in Dublin, CA, and they are great! Can't ever replace the knowledge, attention and friendship that Jade and Roberto bring to the table. I NEVER shop online, because I NEVER want them to go away. Always meet the nicest people in their shop as well. Great place to hang out and just shoot the breeze and get some new ideas.

I have a soft spot for small businesses because I own one, and I'm tired of watching all of my local resources disappear. The most recent example: I used to have 3-4 lawnmower shops within 10 min. Now the nearest one is 25 min. away.

I am also one of the lucky ones; my LHBS is Hoptech in Dublin, CA, and they are great! Can't ever replace the knowledge, attention and friendship that Jade and Roberto bring to the table. I NEVER shop online, because I NEVER want them to go away. Always meet the nicest people in their shop as well. Great place to hang out and just shoot the breeze and get some new ideas.

I have a soft spot for small businesses because I own one, and I'm tired of watching all of my local resources disappear. The most recent example: I used to have 3-4 lawnmower shops within 10 min. Now the nearest one is 25 min. away.

I shopped on line at Hop Tech once. Their website was hacked and my credit info stolen and used for thousands in fraudulent charges. ;)

In fairness, that was years ago and the old owners...

I buy my bulk hops and beer hardware online. My LHBS can't beat the online prices. However my LHBS has pretty competitive prices on grain and yeast so they get my business there. Kinda funny though.....I was there the other day when a shipment of homebrew supplies came in. It looked like most of it came straight from MoreBeer!!!:eek: I bet they don't want their customers to find out about that one!!

My LHBS is getting a bigger store soon. He is in a tough to get into strip shopping center now and his new location will be much easier to get in and out of, plus a bigger lot and a bigger display area. I support mine as often as I can. I always shop him first and when the price diff is negligible I buy locally to insure he is there when I need him on a Saturday in mid disaster. That's how it works, so support your LHBS when you can.

Wheelchair Bob

I do almost all my shopping online.

There is a really good LHBS in Bakersfield, but that is 75 minutes away and I don't get there very often.

I am told that a local pot shop made a corner for basic homebrewing supplies, right next to their bongs. I might run in there for an emergency airlock, but I can see myself being a regular customer unless they expand big time.

frazier said:

This. My LHBS (well, not exactly local, I have to drive to the next county over) may not be as good as the big online guys in terms of inventory or prices, but it's nice to be able to talk to the guys there, get feedback and advice, manually inspect items before buying, and deal with a human rather than a computer.

I only wish they did a better job with their inventory management. I was there today buying ingredients, and they were out of Maris Otter... How the hell do you let yourself run out of something like that?

Everybody is some bodies LHBS...

I started with Northern Brewer, tried a few AHS recipes, then back to NB.

My last order was from Williams and I honestly have a hard time imagining shopping with anyone else now.

My fiance owns the LHBS

ForumRunner_20130512_012553.png

ForumRunner_20130512_012608.png

we really worry about the online competition. We are at or lower in price on 80% of our inventory. We also have a HUGE grain selection and incredible inventory selection. Despite that, it is very difficult to get local support. We have our "core customers" who we love and depend on, but still worry night and day about paying our bills, feeding family and staying open. Niche markets are a gamble no matter how you approach it.

Brew shop ownership is a labor of love and a lifestyle choice of mild poverty.

At least we have lots of great beer and wine.

Ugh, sorry to hear ur going downhill. I buy from NB and AHBS sometimes but try and keep with my LHBS. The only thing I can think of for other LHBS is try and get in real tight with local home brew clubs. U know how people buy, if u can make a name for ur self with steady customers that are local, hopefully they'll go with you instead of an online vendor who may be cheaper.

Where/What is the third one? I too am just down the street from CalWest/Wickes and B3 is on my way home from work.

Mouse

The closest one to me is doing REAL well....probably has something to do with their "brew on premise" operation. Seeing the prices they charge, that alone could keep them afloat:eek:.

The one that I go to, is a little farther away. But has that old time general store kind a feel. He's just one guy but he always has everything I need, grinds your grain for you in person. He also takes the time with his customers to chat. He is also the founder of the PALEALES homebrew club,
hes a positive font of info.

Princeton Homebrew Shop.

Wow. I was just saying bye to mine. Didn't know it was like opening a new thread. I've been brewing for a year. Give or take. They have been me srore for that. Only good thing about is closing. Some major deals.

Don't get me wrong. This is pretty cool. Interesting stories.

Back