Barrel aged beer seems carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcross13

Reaction score
I have a nice ESB in a new oak barrel. Checked it two days ago, at eight days. Decided to leave it for two more. It now is coming out like it is a cask ale. Almost carbonated and highly pressurized? Infection?

(taste is fine)

The amount of information you are giving is not much. If the beer is carbonating itself inside the barrel then some kind of fermentation is still occurring. Are you certain primary fermentation was absolutely complete prior to your transfer into the barrel?

It had been two weeks in primary. Had not carbonation two days ago, however four days ago I topped off with some carbonated beer as was advised to fill in the "angels share".

Decided that it was from the homebrew I used for top off of angels share. It was refermentation. Gravity had dropped again. I syphoned into a secondary to let off gas and finish fermentation before bottling. Hope it works. Taste is good.

First experiment. Next time screw the top off.

Decided that it was from the homebrew I used for top off of angels share. It was refermentation. Gravity had dropped again. I syphoned into a secondary to let off gas and finish fermentation before bottling. Hope it works. Taste is good.

First experiment. Next time screw the top off.

Hell...a barrel-aged cask ESB sounds delightful! I reckon I'd serve it from a beer engine (sparkler) and enjoy as is.:mug:

If I had one I would. Plus very warm climate, hard enough to keep temps down, no room for wooden barrel to cool to more drinkable temps.

Seems to have stopped fermenting. I am going to wait a day or two, then take gravity reading and see if it can be bottled. I think I need a fermentor airlock for the barrel to it will release and excess gas next time.

Still tastes good =, though

Back