I Have Doubled my Alcohol Consumption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
I have recently doubled my consumption of craft beer, with my doctor's blessing, in an attempt to help raise my HDL ("good" cholesterol) levels.

Of course, I am such a mild drinker that even doubling my rate still only gets me to about four beers a week.

It is fun to annoy my teenaged daughter with announcements of "time to take my medication!" prior to opening a beer. :)

Full blog entry here, if you want all of the details.

I don't understand how alcohol can help to raise HDL cholesterol nor do I understand why a doctor would recommend it.

Excess alcohol consumption can definitely raise your Triglycerides, which is bad.

You're better off taking a Lovaza sized dose (or a little less) of Omega 3. Carlson Omega Elite is a great, cheap product. I buy the 180 pill count and keep them refrigerated. Two of these a day taken with food is good enough to help cholesterol.

4 beers a week is nothing by the way... so I wouldn't worry about it either way.

Edit:

You can get those Omega 3 supplements for 20% off the listed price quite regularly with an active coupon code...

http://www.drugstore.com/carlson-el...trength-softgels-lemon/qxp277457?catid=183249

I don't understand how alcohol can help to raise HDL cholesterol nor do I understand why a doctor would recommend it.

Excess alcohol consumption can raise your Triglycerides, which is bad.

You're better off taking a Lovaza sized dose (or a little less) of Omega 3. Carlson Omega Elite is a great, cheap product. I buy the 180 pill count and keep them refrigerated. Two of these a day with food is good enough to help cholesterol.

4 beers a week is nothing by the way... so I wouldn't worry either way.

Excess alcohol consumption raises triglicerides, increases heart disease risk, leads to liver issues, increases risk of diabetes, etc.

Moderate alcohol consumption is good for your heart. Do a little research. Red wine has long been recognized for this, but as it turns out, a glass of beer - while containing fewer overall omeaga 3 compounds - provides an almost undistinguishable boost to heart health.

Fact: a few years ago, the American Heart Association made a decision and asked the doctors in this country to NOT promote the heart benefits of moderate alcohol consumption, due to the concern that there would be more lives lost to drunk driving and alcoholism than would be saved by decreased heart disease.

I can understand that from a public health perspective, but on an individual perspective, things change.

And yes, alcohol consumption DOES boost HDL. I knew this before I visited the doc - again, I did my homework. He confirmed it, though he was quick to point out that the benefit was lost if drinking got excessive.

I don't think that's an issue for me. I still have a couple of beers left from the first batch I brewwed in early January, and I gave many of them away.

Also, if you read the blog entry, you'd know that I've made a lot of changes - including exercise, better eating, and the addition of fish oil supplements. Beer is just a happy bonus.

Moderate alcohol consumption is good for your heart. Do a little research. And yes, alcohol consumption DOES boost HDL.

Also, if you read the blog entry, you'd know that I've made a lot of changes.

I don't understand why you went on attack mode.

I did make a point to say that 4 beers a week is nothing, and you shouldn't need to worry about it.

Now if you start drinking 3 or more beers a day for 2 years straight, especially with no exercise and a poor diet, then you may have something to worry about.

I had the same think happen after my heart surgery. During cardiac rehab when the looked at my numbers they encouraged me to drink more. Congrats!!!!

I posted this when it happened.

Revvy said:
This is cool....In the packet of stuff from the re-hab nurse is a rundown on my cholesterol and measures to improve it. My HDL is 36 and for men it should be above 40. Under the section of "Measures to improve it," it says-

Low saturated fat diet, excercise, weightloss, smoking cessations.

2 drinks/day
And a drink is considered
12 oz of beer
5 ounces of wine
1.5 ounces of 80 proof liquor.

Anyone wanna go out for a shot and a beer with me...A DAY? ;)

Fyi my numbers are pretty good.

Cholesterol (Desirable numbers <200 ) My Number- 114
LDL (<70) Mine 57
HDL (> 40) Mine 36
Triglyceride (<150) Mine 104

I don't understand why you went on attack mode.

I did make a point to say that 4 beers a week is nothing, and you shouldn't need to worry about it.

Sorry, I had no intenton of coming across as being on attack mode - I absolutely apologize for coming across that way. Just stating more facts than you may have wanted to hear.

The post here was really just to celebrate that, "hey, I get to drink more beer and it's good for me!"

I realize that four beers is nothing to worry about... that puts me almost into non drinker territory.

Now if you start drinking 3 or more beers a day for 2 years straight, especially with no exercise and a poor diet, then you may have something to worry about.

That's probably right about where my consumption is. Blood tests, BP, etc. are all perfectly normal. Doc says he only needs to see me every 2 years at this point.

I do have a decent diet, though I love bacon and eggs and meat in general...I don't know if it's due to the fact that I won't eat fast food, that I drink a lot of water, or that I'm only 34 years old...but I'm in relative good health.

Only four beers a week would just be annoying. Two a day is a nice round number. Especially considering the vitamin B content of the yeasties involved in our home brewed concoctions. And for those interested, who work out or play sports like racquetball, there is not a finer time to have a couple than just after your favorite sport. Let the tall tales roll!

Red wine has long been recognized for this, but as it turns out, a glass of beer - while containing lfewer overall omega 3 compounds - provides an almost undistinguishable boost to heart health.

I don't know that I would call 4-6 oz of dry red wine with beneficial reservatrol, equivalent to a 22-44 oz. of sugary, carb laden beer in terms of daily health benefits but okay.

I love both. But ideally, no alcohol consumption is probably the best for health benefits. They do have the ability to isolate what's good for you in alcohol in pill form nowadays.

I don't know that I would call a dry red wine with beneficial reservatrol, equivalent to a sugary, carb laden beer in terms of health benefits but okay.

I was referring to the heart health factors. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

In reards to the health benefits of alcohol in moderate levels: I'm going to follow the advice of my doctor and of the many studies on the subject. You are of course free to believe what you like. :)

And as for pills... I take fish oil, but multiple studies will tell you that actually eating those cold water fish is better for you than any supplement. Likewise, I'll enjoy my moderate consumption of beer as opposed to even more bottles of pills.

Take a look at Dr. Mercola on Youtube to be caught up to speed on why we take vitamins, omega 3, and other supplements. Of course natural food is always best. But you can't get all those benefits on a daily basis in the amounts necessary to improve and maintain health and youth. And if you could, it would cost a fortune.

FYI - Any serious professional body builder, marathon runner, athlete, or trainer will tell you that alcohol is essentially poison and should be avoided at all costs. Not trying to be a hater... just providing and alternate opinion.

As Drvertabrae mentioned, unfiltered/unpasteurized beer (likehomebrew) is even more beneficial than commersh due to the live yeast. Not only for the vitamin b, but also for the mild laxative effect!

Take a look at Dr. Mercola on Youtube to be caught up to speed on why we take vitamins, omega 3, and other supplements. Of course natural food is always best. But you can't get all those benefits on a daily basis in the amounts necessary to improve and maintain health and youth. And if you could, it would cost a fortune.

FYI - Any serious professional body builder, marathon runner, athlete, or trainer will tell you that alcohol is essentially poison and should be avoided at all costs. Not trying to be a hater... just providing and alternate opinion.

Understood. Were I a professional body builder or runner, your point would be well taken.

Instead, I'm a regular guy on a beer enthusiast forum who is pleased to discover that said hobby is helping his heart situation. I respect your alternate opinion, but I'll continue to enjoy my beer and feel good about doing so, thanks.

Excess alcohol consumption raises triglicerides, increases heart disease risk, leads to liver issues, increases risk of diabetes, etc.

Moderate alcohol consumption is good for your heart. Do a little research. Red wine has long been recognized for this, but as it turns out, a glass of beer - while containing lfewer overall omeaga 3 compounds - provides an almost undistinguishable boost to heart health.

Fact: a few years ago, the American Heart Association made a decision and asked the doctors in this country to NOT promote the heart benefits of moderate alcohol consumption, due to the concern that there would be more lives lost to drunk driving and alcoholism than would be saved by decreased heart disease.

I can understand that from a public health perspective, but on an individual perspective, things change.

And yes, alcohol consumption DOES boost HDL. I knew this before I visited the doc - again, I did my homework. He confirmed it, though he was quick to point out that the benefit was lost if drinking got excessive.

I don't think that's an issue for me. I still have a couple of beers left from the first batch I brewwed in early January, and I gave many of them away.

Also, if you read the blog entry, you'd know that I've made a lot of changes - including exercise, better eating, and the addition of fish oil supplements. Beer is just a happy bonus.

Well said!

You misunderstood.

Those professional athletes and others obsessed with health, diet, exercise know very well what they're doing when it comes to improving overall health by avoiding alcohol. And there are many many other ways to improve heart health that are better for you than doubling up on beer consumption.

I drink beer and love beer... I'm just saying that there is another 50% to this debate that you're overlooking and wanted to point that out for the rest of us.

Well said!

Thanks. Glad you took it in the intended spirit.

You misunderstood.

Those professional athletes and others obsessed with health, diet, exercise know very well what they're doing when it comes to improving overall health by avoiding alcohol. And there are many many other ways to improve heart health that are better for you than doubling up on beer consumption.

I drink beer and love beer... I'm just saying that there is another 50% to this debate that you're overlooking and wanted to point that out for the rest of us.

Really, honestly, wasn't looking for a debate. If I were a professional athelete or truly obsessed with health, diet, etc, I would remove as many processed foods as possible from my diet. I would avoid sugar like the plague. I would never drink soft drinks. I would take that handful of supplements.

I'm not a professional athelete, and I'm not health obsessed. I brought my alcohol consumption up to a level that is still less than one drink per day. Virtually all of the big studies agree that heart issues arise when you exceed three drinks per day. I'm not even in that conversation.

However, to gain the HDL benefits of alcohol, you need 3-4 drinks per week (some studies suggest one drink per day).

I did not start drinking beer to fix my cholesterol. I found that increasing my intake gave a happy benefit.

If your position truly is one that any alcohol whatsoever is bad for you and should be avoided (and hey, I can respect that)... why are you posting on HBT? That seems akin to tuning into Rush Limbaugh every day when you vote yellow dog Democrat.

Yet you say that you drink and love beer... your posts in this topic seem to cry Devil's Advocate to me. Which is cool, but again... I'm really not here to debate. Just sharing what I thought was a cool benefit to those who, by virture of posting on a beer forum, would probably appreciate it.

I'm just saying the top 5% healthiest people in the world probably don't touch alcohol. Contradictory to your minset about alcohol + health benefits.

I don't have to be in that 5% group to point out the fallacy of your beliefs.

Cheers with this 12% abv!! I don't want to carry this on anymore either.

slh.jpg

I'm just saying the top 5% healthiest people in the world probably don't touch alcohol. Contradictory to your minset about alcohol + health benefits.

Cheers with this 12% abv!! I don't want to carry this on anymore either.

Man, all he is saying is that HIS beer intake could be beneficial to HIM. PER HIS DOCTOR. I did not take the OP as saying by drinking beer one will become a model of health. :mug:

Dude don't take this too seriously. He loves beer and he's not very health consious with working out. He just found out that beer "helps" his heart.
Anyone who loves beer would love to hear that from their doctor...more excuse to drink the nectar from the god's!

Heh, I knew clicking into this there would be bickering. Anytime health and beer consumption is mentioned things get wild around here, usually more towards an abstinence swayed attitude which is quite unusual considering it's a brewing forum. Go to a cigar forum and the responses are waaay different. There you'll get more of, "I'm enjoying it and it relieves stress so to me it's more beneficial".

Now, I'm not disputing anything anyone is saying. Obviously over consumption is bad, and I certainly way over consume. I drink several beers a night, but the OP said he's moved to *4 a week*!!!! NOT 4 a day. Jesus, 4 a week is well within health limits. As a matter of fact health professionals say 2 beers a day is good. Bobbrews, I know you mentioned this so please don't take this as directed at you in any way! :mug:

OP, enjoy it man! I myself couldn't live with 4 a week, I would go nuts :p

Rev.

I'm 69, I train for 5 hours a week in 2.5 hr sessions at 24 hr Gym before bowling for 3 hrs. I hike twice a week averaging 33 miles a month. I drink one home brew a day, sometimes 2. When at a club brew session that may go up to 4 that night w/all the testing of brews people bring. I like a shot of whiskey some evenings along w/a wine glass of Irish Cream or red wine. I eat lots of nuts about half are unsalted. I eat little meat, but do have a good thick steak once or twice a month and have salmon at least once a week. Most nights are brown rice and some kind of veggies. I use water only to wash and to make beer. Plane water is uninviting and I drink next to none. I'm 6' and weigh in at 163 stripped down naked. Not sure what my cholesterol levels are now, but they have never been bad in the past.

What does that all mean? Dammed if I know but I'm enjoying retirement. :confused: LOL :)

Dammit C-Rider... I expected some cool ending to your post :p That and holy cow I didn't know you were 69! I know you from your posts for over a year now since you're in Hawaii and I want to move there myself some day. I've been there 4 times within 3 years and love the place so much. Anyhow, I know this doesn't add much either, but have a great weekend and Shaka!

Rev.

Dammit C-Rider... I expected some cool ending to your post :p That and holy cow I didn't know you were 69! I know you from your posts for over a year now since you're in Hawaii and I want to move there myself some day. I've been there 4 times within 3 years and love the place so much. Anyhow, I know this doesn't add much either, but have a great weekend and Shaka!

Rev.

I live on the dry west side. We get about 330 days of sunshine a year. Everything costs more here except maybe gas if you live now in Calf. I just filled up at SAMS Club for 4.23.9. I hate to leave even to visit my kids on the mainland. This is truly paradise, if you can afford it. :mug:

Did I ever claim that the ticket to being among that 5% was to drink alcohol?

No, I did not. I stated that moderate consumption of alcohol is doctor recommended as beneficial to heart health, specifically to boosting HDL levels.

I did not disagree that the very best lifestyles available, health wise, do not include alcohol. I freely admit that these lifestyles also include minimal processing of foods, way more exercise than I perform, and other features (more veggies than I eat, more supplements than I take, etc).

The fact that there are BETTER lifestyles than mine does not invalidate my original point, that moderate alcohol use can be beneficial to your heart.

But, hey, don't believe me.

Try this American Heart Association journal

Here's a guide to boosting HDL.

Medscape talks about cholesterol in depth, alcohol's HDL boosting effects are mentioned.

Very technical discussion of moderate alcohol consumption and HDL increases at nih.gov, with references given to multiple medical journals.

I can provide dozens more. This isn't a belief, an opinion, or an experimental theory. This is solid medicine that has been common knowledge for some time now. Alcohol is not a wonder drug, and can have many other negative impacts on your health... but moderate use DOES boost HDL levels, period.

If bobbrews is so anti this sentiment, which MY DOCTOR also confirmned after my Heart surgery is so anti drinking, the WTF is he doing on a homebrewing site??

Or is this just simply trolling?

I asked this very question earlier in the thread.

I asked this very question earlier in the thread.

I know...I just sat down and noticed your citations, and re-read his comments and had a WTF moment.

I don't get why people like to play "devils advocate" games on the internet....Which I think he's doing if he's not plain trolling. Either one seems like a waste of band with to me.

I know...I just sat down and noticed your citations, and re-read his comments and had a WTF moment.

I don't get why people like to play "devils advocate" games on the internet....Which I think he's doing if he's not plain trolling. Either one seems like a waste of band with to me.

It's kind of like being that guy at a party who hangs on the fringe and jumps in with an interjection of "well, actually..." followed by a technical discourse on a tangent related to the subject of conversation, with an eye to showing everyone how much smarter he is than the person who brought the topic up. Instead, that guy usually comes across as a jerk, a nerd, or an unbearable terrible mix of the two.

The sad thing is, that party guy often goes home with a smug self assuredness on how he "really showed those guys", all the time being unaware (or unconcerned) how he really came off.

Hopefully, my analogy doesn't fully apply here. However, a re-reread of my initial post and the exchanges that have followed really does make me scratch my head.

I normally only have a few beers a week as well. I'm young, but high cholesterol runs in my family when we hit 40, maybe I should have a beer a day along with my apple. Maybe take it to work and have it with my lunch. "No boss, this is just a health supplement for my heart, it will help me stay healthier so I can have less sick days..." :mug

LOL @ supplement, rhoop. Beer will help you build good cholesterol, but it doesn't lower the bad variety.

Eat good and learn the right food/ drink pletny o' filtered or spring water and moderate calories also,exercise regularly,and moderate alchohol and drink homebrew more often than the filtered/pasterized variety. And thats a hell of a start for longevity.Stay off the meds. Quit eating sugar! Beer carbs are better anyway. I dont even drink soda/pop-rarely. Having Beer is actually better than having pop daily. And drink some good cabbage beet clerery apple/spinache and etc.... juice or get a damn vitamixer or good blender. Eat raw more often-get probiotics. Use a sauna.Man. there is so much to do to take care of yourself,people take better care of their cars,than simple (practically -FREE) steps of taking care of themselves.

homebrewdad said:
Beer will help you build good cholesterol, but it doesn't lower the bad variety.

That sucks, I had a whole five step plan made up on how to take one for the team and drink more beer to lower my cholesterol. Oh well. Guess I gotta stick with exercising and eating healthy and that boring stuff instead.

Actually, I enjoy exercising, and eating healthy. It's not boring at all. Maybe I will try and drink more beer anyway. I very rarely drink anything but homebrew, and if I do, it's usually bottle Conditioned anyway. I've never done any research on this, maybe someone else has, is it unhealthy to have high levels of the good cholesterol? I have a good intake of omegas and all that good stuff, but can your body have too much? Or does it regulate the good cholesterol better than the bad? Maybe the OP knows seeing as he's done a ton of research on it already. Save me some Google time... ;)

That sucks, I had a whole five step plan made up on how to take one for the team and drink more beer to lower my cholesterol. Oh well. Guess I gotta stick with exercising and eating healthy and that boring stuff instead.

Actually, I enjoy exercising, and eating healthy. It's not boring at all. Maybe I will try and drink more beer anyway. I very rarely drink anything but homebrew, and if I do, it's usually bottle Conditioned anyway. I've never done any research on this, maybe someone else has, is it unhealthy to have high levels of the good cholesterol? I have a good intake of omegas and all that good stuff, but can your body have too much? Or does it regulate the good cholesterol better than the bad? Maybe the OP knows seeing as he's done a ton of research on it already. Save me some Google time... ;)

It is possible to have too much HDL, but this is rather rare, and is usually related to some other health issue (diabetes, liver issues).

The function of HDL is to remove LDL (bad cholesterol) from your arteries, where it returns it to your liver for processing. Excess LDL builds up and causes plaque in those arteries, which leads to heart attacks. HDL in and of itself isn't a problem (it doesn't cause arterial plaque), but it can indicate that you have another problem.

You want an HDL level of at least 40 (mine was 25 and change). HDL levels of 60+ are what you'd really like to have - these are associated with protection against heart disease. If you get an excessively high number, you may need to get a full lipid profile done to deterine what's going on.

Back