Hydrometer Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to leave all of my beers on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks...I started to notice that a beer that was kegged after 2 weeks would get better as it sat in the keg "maturing". Now whether you want to call it "maturing", "yeast clean up", "flavors blending", or maybe you have some ubber-scientific answer, doesn't really matter. Most will say all beers get at LEAST slightly better with time. I figure why drink any beer thats"almost" as good as it can be?

Guess this thread is thoroughly de-railed huh?

I didn't think you were an ass until you decided correcting "chalk full" was a smart move!

I like answering the beginner's forum because I have 4 years of mistakes, learning, and getting better under my belt. However when people make smart ass comments in the beginners section when I'm trying to help it gets annoying.

It was snarky, but meant to be helpful. My apologies. I've got a good bit of experience as a homebrewer and assistant homebrewer. Answering questions also makes me consider my own perspective on brewing. If i keep my thoughts to myself, i'll never get a better solution.

I guess i should put in my signature "these are my opinions, don't follow them" :)

Just because I've worked with brewers and brewed a good bit on my own, doesn't mean i consider myself an expert by any means. i still have A LOT to learn, and the only way to do that is to bring my thoughts to the table and get them shot down by people more knowledgeable than me :)

To each his own, then. If I state anything as fact on here, it's usually prefaced by something I heard/read from those at the forefront of the home brewing/commercial craft brewing community. If I have any theories or preferences based on my own (very) limited exposure to brewing, I'm certainly not going to go around telling average to experienced brewers that my method is better better than conventional wisdom just because a few batches turned out okay.

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post as well as my first brew. Quick question regarding this topic. How long as a general rule of thumb, how long should I wait between no visible airlock movement and taking a hydro reading? Currently it has been 96 hours (four full days). I'm starting with a Brewer's Best kit for Indian Black Ale. My OG was 1.06 before I put it in the primary. My temp has been at a consistent 69 degrees for the past three days. The first 24 hours I noticed a flux between 72 and 68 degrees.

I used the dry yeast that came with the kit. Felt a little shaded out by it only because it was stored at room temp for god knows how long by Brewer's Best and then at my local supply store. I bake homemade bread and couldn't get my head around not chilling yeast for freshness. However, the yeast was not expired.

Should I take a reading now or wait a few days longer? I would like to prevent a problem if I can but most importantly not cause one by messing with a living organism doing it's own thing. A fellow HB friend of mine suggested pitching more yeast.

Thanks in advance for any advice! It is appreciated.

eyemind79 said:
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post as well as my first brew. Quick question regarding this topic. How long as a general rule of thumb, how long should I wait between no visible airlock movement and taking a hydro reading? Currently it has been 96 hours (four full days). I'm starting with a Brewer's Best kit for Indian Black Ale. My OG was 1.06 before I put it in the primary. My temp has been at a consistent 69 degrees for the past three days. The first 24 hours I noticed a flux between 72 and 68 degrees.

I used the dry yeast that came with the kit. Felt a little shaded out by it only because it was stored at room temp for god knows how long by Brewer's Best and then at my local supply store. I bake homemade bread and couldn't get my head around not chilling yeast for freshness. However, the yeast was not expired.

Should I take a reading now or wait a few days longer? I would like to prevent a problem if I can but most importantly not cause one by messing with a living organism doing it's own thing. A fellow HB friend of mine suggested pitching more yeast.

Thanks in advance for any advice! It is appreciated.

Usually I let mine sit for a minimum of two weeks before I check it, but that's because I typically leave it in primary for 2-4 weeks. Being your first batch I understand the anxiousness and would say as long as you understand that every time you stick something into your beer there is a slight chance for infection, checking your gravity with a sanitary wine thief or similar is usually not a problem...so check it now if it will ease your concerns about the yeast you used. I would still leave it for 2 weeks total, if you can manage!

The general consensus around here is to wait at least 2 weeks before even thinking about taking a reading; 3 weeks is more preferable. Even if something is wrong with fermentation, 2 weeks sitting around shouldn't harm it, and if primary fermentation does complete quickly, letting the yeast clean themselves up for a couple of weeks will only help to improve your finished product.

You can take a reading after 5-7 days if you're incredibly curious. 95% or more of fermentation is complete at that point. But that doesn't mean the beer is done. Yeast cleanup and conditioning is much more important than some people think. I would agree that 3-4 weeks before bottling is preferable, at least for most American ales. But why risk oxygenation more than you would need to by taking readings every 3 days after the first week? Especially if you're also taking the cap off to dryhop and/or racking to secondary. You can't really do anything about it if it's not as low as you expected. Patience is a virtue.

Thanks Guys!

I do appreciate the input. I think I'll hold off for at least another week. I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to harm anything if I let it sit a while. I'll try and bide my time reading books and cleaning labels off of bottles. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to ya both. The food induced coma should keep my mind off the beer for a while too. Haha.

Haha, Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Somehow I doubt even Thanksgiving Day dinner could keep my mind off of brewing, even with us hosting and having plenty to do all day!

metanoia said:
Haha, Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Somehow I doubt even Thanksgiving Day dinner could keep my mind off of brewing, even with us hosting and having plenty to do all day!

I hear ya! I've been on HBT at least 5x today even with a house full of guests.

Hey Guys,

I am a pretty new brewer. I did some brewing a few years back but it was a fully prepared malt extract (just add yeast). I just recently got back into it and moved to Extract/Grain.

My question is: it seems like it arguable how long to leave your brew in the primary for but it seems noone is talking about the secondary (carboy). It was my understanding that you left it in the primary until a certain point and then move it to secondary until it is ready to bottle. What is that point (if you want to use a carboy).

Do people not use carboys much? if so, why?

Thanks for the help guys! This forum is great.

Matty

Hey Guys,

I am a pretty new brewer. I did some brewing a few years back but it was a fully prepared malt extract (just add yeast). I just recently got back into it and moved to Extract/Grain.

My question is: it seems like it arguable how long to leave your brew in the primary for but it seems noone is talking about the secondary (carboy). It was my understanding that you left it in the primary until a certain point and then move it to secondary until it is ready to bottle. What is that point (if you want to use a carboy).

Do people not use carboys much? if so, why?

Thanks for the help guys! This forum is great.

Matty

Probably half the brewers here use carboys (glass and plastic).

I'd guess 90% of the brewers here don't do a secondary. The reasoning is that there is very little advantage over just leaving it in the primary. Most brewers here do a 2-week primary. I do 3, just to be sure, and some do a little less. Beer will clear more quickly if you do use a secondary, but the added risk of contamination and the hassle isn't justifiable unless you are in a big hurry to have a clear beer.

I'd guess 90% of the brewers here don't do a secondary. The reasoning is that there is very little advantage over just leaving it in the primary. Most brewers here do a 2-week primary. I do 3, just to be sure, and some do a little less. Beer will clear more quickly if you do use a secondary, but the added risk of contamination and the hassle isn't justifiable unless you are in a big hurry to have a clear beer.

Wow ok. Thanks for the info!

So you can you use JUST a carboy? Doesn't that make it hard to pitch the yeast through the little spout? :)

mattymc said:

So you can you use JUST a carboy? Doesn't that make it hard to pitch the yeast through the little spout? :)

Nah, use a sanitized funnel, or pour carefully. I've never used a bucket. I must be one of the 10% ers, because I almost always use a secondary. Personal preference.

yup.

I do a secondary if I have to push my schedule. It'll clarify beer sooner than just leaving in the primary - but if I have time I just leave it in my primary carboy.

I just pour the yeast in. No funnel here. Never been an issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by "JUST". If you are thinking about buckets, I've never used a bucket for fermenting. I've never used anything but carboys.

Back